Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Battery Setups

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Dual Battery Setups

Does anyone have any dual battery setups in the 15/16/17 F150's (3.5L EB)

hope someone has some pics they can share!

Thanks
Old 12-22-2016, 08:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone?
Old 12-22-2016, 10:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

This won't really give you much info on mounting the battery, but it's got some interesting info on how these new trucks handle a second battery.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...ry-set-up.html

Check out some of the overlanding forums, you might get more ideas. Expedition Portal, perhaps. There doesn't seem to be may people modifying these F150's in this manner.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:14 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Found a bit more about the charging circuit, here:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/adding...oboost-102988/
Old 12-22-2016, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run dual batteries in mine, I have a deep cycle battery that I use to power all my work equipment (I'm a locksmith). The deep cycle battery is located in the bed of my truck though where I use a commercial type topper to store all my equpiment. I'm assuming you're looking for pictures of two batteries under the hood, but I can take pics of my setup if you're interested. The wiring is very simple too, if you're seeking info on that I can explain how to do it, it's the same no matter where you put the battery.
The following users liked this post:
imcabby (12-22-2016)
Old 08-16-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speedykeys
I run dual batteries in mine, I have a deep cycle battery that I use to power all my work equipment (I'm a locksmith). The deep cycle battery is located in the bed of my truck though where I use a commercial type topper to store all my equpiment. I'm assuming you're looking for pictures of two batteries under the hood, but I can take pics of my setup if you're interested. The wiring is very simple too, if you're seeking info on that I can explain how to do it, it's the same no matter where you put the battery.
I know this is an old thread, so I am not sure if I will get a response, but in case you are still subscribed and get a note, I would be very interested in the wiring that you did and whether or not you disabled the battery monitoring system as well as the wiring. The actual location/mounting of the battery would be different for me, so photos would not be necessary.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:16 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

There have been several threads on various battery topics recently that I've posted in. What specifically are you looking to do? On the state-of-charge monitoring, you either need to parallel the two batteries full time and ensure all current draw is "seen" by the Hall effect sensor... or, if you isolate the two batteries via a diode or contactor-based arrangement, you'll need to disable the monitoring either by disconnecting the sensor (sets a code but doesn't turn on a CEL) or by disabling it with ForScan.

I'm running two dissimilar AGM batteries with a Blue Sea ML-ACR for isolation. SOC monitoring disabled.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Although I have not purchased this yet, my plan is to install this between the car battery and my Aux battery. In this way the aux battery will only draw up to a certain load (30A I think) and it will be charged intelligently. Hopefully that will extend the life.

Sterling ProCharge-B Battery-to-Battery Charger - IP68 Waterproof - 12V In -12V Out …
Amazon Amazon
irv0735 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 08:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tvsjr
There have been several threads on various battery topics recently that I've posted in. What specifically are you looking to do? On the state-of-charge monitoring, you either need to parallel the two batteries full time and ensure all current draw is "seen" by the Hall effect sensor... or, if you isolate the two batteries via a diode or contactor-based arrangement, you'll need to disable the monitoring either by disconnecting the sensor (sets a code but doesn't turn on a CEL) or by disabling it with ForScan.

I'm running two dissimilar AGM batteries with a Blue Sea ML-ACR for isolation. SOC monitoring disabled.
I was mainly looking to see if anyone has found a way to isolate and keep the battery monitoring system. I want to have an isolated battery for some auxiliary devices (lights, tools, charging devices) that can be used with the truck off and ensure that I never deplete my main battery, leaving me stranded (a fairly typical use case).

One thought that I had (somewhat inefficient) is to set up an AC/DC converter and use the 400W AC output from the inverter run through the converter to the marine battery. In this case, the battery would get charged anytime the truck is running, but the Battery monitoring could stay on. Has anyone tried this approach? When I do the quick math, it's likely there is not enough power available from the inverter to do this...

What are the negative side effects of disabling the battery monitoring with FORScan?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by irv0735
One thought that I had (somewhat inefficient) is to set up an AC/DC converter and use the 400W AC output from the inverter run through the converter to the marine battery.
See my post right before yours. That device does what you want to do, but skips the AC step and is therefore much more efficient. You can use batteries of different technologies, and the second battery just looks like any normal load to the system when the car is on (if the negative lead is run through the chassis and not to the main battery).
irv0735 (08-17-2017)