Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door loose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 12:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Driver door loose?

2017 XLT SCrew sport package. Bought in July and have 2500 miles on it (take home car for work keeps mileage low on the truck).

I noticed a week ago with the frigid temps that my door would have a squeak or rattle going over bumps at low speeds and sometimes at highway speeds. Today was warmer and the noise wasn't as prevalent.

So I decided to put my fingers between the door frame and the door going over bumps, and the driver door actually has some very minor movement. Outside of the truck I can push on the door when it's closed and has just the slightest movement inward. However, I can grab the door from the bottom near the edge and pull up, and the door definitely has some up and down play to it, so I suspect that may have something to do with the noise. I'm not getting any wind noise leak or water leaks.

I checked the new trucks on the local dealers lot and none of them have the play in the driver door. So I dunno where to start exactly. Tomorrow I'm going to check the door adjustment bolts. Any other culprits that could cause this?
Old 01-09-2018, 03:50 AM

Received 706 Likes on 548 Posts

Funny I've had many and my 15 didn't do it but my 18, I thought I was crazy but at -20 it drove me buts as well as steering being super hard at lower temps. From 2010 to 2011 to 2013 and 2015 I see changes that have make me notice that the 18 is more noisy.

That said I do not like the 10 speed tranny, seems like a hearse taking a body to a funeral, not a truck. Also it is so quiet many will like it. That said I like a truck, built Ford Tough but too quiet like your drunk in a cab taking you home, and not sure of this because I (IMO) downgraded from 3.55 to 3.31 and feel a major lack from the 6 speed 3.55 versus 10 speed 3.31.

Would never again buy 3.31 and should have known better cased on 2011 3.55 , 2013 3.73 and 2015 3.55.

For those who say 10 speed 3.31 will make the diff from a 6 speed 3.55 to a 6 speed, you haven't experienced them, I have.

Keep the 3.31 in the 2wd.

Last edited by caperJ; 01-09-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:50 AM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by bravozero
2017 XLT SCrew sport package. Bought in July and have 2500 miles on it (take home car for work keeps mileage low on the truck).

I noticed a week ago with the frigid temps that my door would have a squeak or rattle going over bumps at low speeds and sometimes at highway speeds. Today was warmer and the noise wasn't as prevalent.

So I decided to put my fingers between the door frame and the door going over bumps, and the driver door actually has some very minor movement. Outside of the truck I can push on the door when it's closed and has just the slightest movement inward. However, I can grab the door from the bottom near the edge and pull up, and the door definitely has some up and down play to it, so I suspect that may have something to do with the noise. I'm not getting any wind noise leak or water leaks.

I checked the new trucks on the local dealers lot and none of them have the play in the driver door. So I dunno where to start exactly. Tomorrow I'm going to check the door adjustment bolts. Any other culprits that could cause this?
Ford has done a poor job with the door alignment on some of these trucks. I had to adjust mine as they were poorly aligned out of the factory. I also found that the bolts were not torqued down properly from the factory.

Check out this thread for more info...

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/check...-bolts-346055/
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (01-09-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:42 AM

Anyone else?
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Yes, it's under warranty. Take it to the dealer and have them check the door for alignment and everything is tightened properly.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:55 AM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bravozero
Anyone else?
All my doors feel loose / rattle. Visually they appear to be in alignment, but the cab seems to rattle a lot. Part of me thinks it is just a combo of LT tires, crap factory suspension, and build quality; but the other part says damn, these doors really shake... When the weather warms up I am going to try adjusting them closer to the frame.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Bravo zero any luck? I had similar thought on my left rear door posted under a thread about “rattle in B pillar”
Old 02-02-2018, 11:58 PM

Nope. Haven't had the time to do anything about it, and I don't drive it that much anyway since I have a take home car I drive every day. Maybe when it warms up a bit I'll investigate it further.

Quick Reply: Driver door loose?