Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doors, steps and slush

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Default Doors, steps and slush

Ok, so the answer is probably going to be mudflaps but...

Anyone else have an issue with slush accumulation between the step bars and body? Seems to be much worse at the supports for the steps.

Had more than I thought last night and I did not clear it out when I got home. this morning it was frozen solid. The doors could still open although I'm not thrilled at dragging them over sand encrusted ice (I usually use the toe of my boot to kick it down through the gap but one chunk simply would not budge).

I know mudflaps would help with the chunk at the front of the step bar, unsure if it helps for the slug that appears at the rearmost support.

Also, my tailgate ends up frozen to my tonneau. Usually 3-4 whacks on the top loosens it but this morning even that was not working.

On the plus side, driving home in the freezing rain last night went without an issue.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Mudflaps. Still get a bunch. Tailgate - silicone spray.

I keep a small plastic garden shovel in all vehicles. I stop on the street before turning into my driveway, clean off my mudflaps and any other large clumps. Helps the garage stay only moderately dirty all winter.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 428 Likes on 293 Posts

I have mudflaps and Amp power steps. Have almost zero build up of slush and ice as the steps are retracted under the doors and against the frame. Had a 2012 with the same set up and never had any issues and steps stay pretty clean and dry all winter.

This stuff I use on my Jeep Wrangle to help keep build up of snow and ice on portions of the running board. Just make SURE you don't spray where you step.......... It does help if it's applied every few weeks...

Last edited by cthusker; 12-13-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

I have large mudflaps and I get buildup at the rear step support. Not too bad if I smash it out with my snowbrush now and then. But if I let it build up then I also get the scraping on the bottom of the door... Almost all the snow has melted and we've got above freezing temps in the forecast so I don't see me having this issue soon

Quick Reply: Doors, steps and slush