Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door alignment fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Door alignment fix

Has anyone found a solution for the infamous "door-sticking-out-at-the-bottom" issue?

2017 XLT SCrew, silver. Second day of ownership installing mud guards and noticed the driver door was sticking out at the bottom, but was flush in all three other corners. Messed with the hinge bolts and tried to get it straightened out... here's my dilemma.

I can either make the bottom flush with the front fender and have it stick out in front of the rear door, or flush with the rear door and make the fender seem like it sticks out. There's no good in-between. Dealer says that's all they can do is mess with the bolts and move it around, but refuses to do any bending of the door.

My OCD is getting the best of me with this truck, so many misaligned panels. I don't make a whole lot of money and bought this truck as a long term vehicle, granted I paid $40k for it but it's my hard earned money and I want as close to perfection as possible.

Solutions?
Old 08-01-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

If its the front door, you align the rear door once the fender is aligned. Aligning doors is a PITA, especially if the pillars are off.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:14 PM

Already tried. Problem is the rear door is maxed out, can't bring it any further outwards. It was like that from the factory.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

My conclusion after working on my doors is that the stamping is messed up and it is physically impossible to align the door panels from front to back.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by seadragon
My conclusion after working on my doors is that the stamping is messed up and it is physically impossible to align the door panels from front to back.
Ugh.

I hate this wonderful gift I have called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Yes, I'm the type of person who can notice the color tone differences in cell phone screens. And I'm the type of person that won't buy an AR15 if it has receiver gap and wobble. I hate my OCD so bad.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

My left rear door sticks out everywhere except at the top. From behind the truck it looks like the door is open, but it's not. Drawback of stamping aluminum as it tends to spring back, so not every part is exactly the same like they would be in steel.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:31 PM

I've even debated on finding someone that can color match Magnetic to vinyl and do a two-tone wrap like they do from the factory just to hide it a bit.

Or find some ingot silver door edge trim and put it on each door so it won't be as noticeable.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 F150 with Door Alignment Issues.

My truck from the day I got it had issues with the drivers door and alignment. It was off by almost half an inch at the bottom. What this caused was wind noise and movement to the door over bumps. I took it to Ford and they looked at it. Didn't do much at all. I got so fed up with it the other day.. Should have made a video, however I didn't. I wasn't sure I would actually fix it. The stricker plate latch on the door needs to be removed. Where the two bolts screw in, you'll see its a separate piece behind the shell of the vehicle. Take a screw driver and hammer and be careful not to strip the threading. Tap either in or out, depending on how your door is. Doesn't need to be with much force. It moves pretty well with a slight tap. My door was obviously out at the bottom, so I tapped the bottom screw hole in a tad. Replaced the stricker plate and bolted it back in place. It was almost perfect. I repeated it one last time with slight adjustment. The wind noise has stopped and alignment is dead on now. Two and a half years driving around thinking I was nuts. OCD is bad I know, but this is definitely an issue with Ford. I've owned Chevy's and even Dodge's. Never have I seen the alignment out quite like this. Go to a dealer and you'll even see it on the 2019 models. Pick a door. Anyone is lucky who doesn't have this issue

This is how mine looked at the bottom of my drivers door. It is now flush with the back door and body lines of truck. Easy fix

Last edited by TysonF150; 02-14-2019 at 09:13 AM.