Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diode Dynamics SL1 User Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Diode Dynamics SL1 User Reviews

Hi all,

I am a new owner of a Ingot Silver Supercrew 501a Lariat with the Special Edition package. As hundreds have stated, factory halogens are far less than perfect, especially coming from the '14 HIDs. I am not a huge fan of the Anzos or other aftermarket headlights, and honestly not a huge fan of the factory LEDs either. I know that LED bulbs in halogen housing can cause a lot of controversy and i would like to avoid that. SUPPOSEDLY, the new Diode Dynamics SL1 LED bulbs are designed in a way that should increase light output while still maintaining a healthy cutoff. Has anyone bought and installed these yet? I would love some feedback, and i would really love to see a 40-50 ft cutoff on a wall at night time (ideally without any glare )

Ive seen some positive feedback on the 4x4 Truck LEDs headlights as well but would prefer a bulb that fits inside the factory cover, and have yet to see a picture of the cutoff that those provide in a factory housing either. Also, those are 6500K which is a bit too blue for my liking, i would love to stay around 5K. (not sure what the SL1s are, havent found that info yet.)

To be clear, i only want to purchase LED headlights IF (big IF), they have evolved to a point to be more effective and no more dangerous than current halogen bulbs in our factory housing. I have searched the forums and havent really foudn the pictures/reviews i am looking for. Sorry if this topic exists elsewhere unbeknownst to me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

It's not the SL1s but a few of us have these & are pleased with the performance.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/led-h...-bulbs-370732/
The following 2 users liked this post by JAMADOR:
BlackBoost (01-11-2018), Melwinn (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't think they were available yet. The website says preorder and ships out Jan 12th.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:57 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Melwinn
Hi all,

.........i would love to stay around 5K.

To be clear, i only want to purchase LED headlights IF (big IF), they have evolved to a point to be more effective and no more dangerous than current halogen bulbs in our factory housing.....
Looking at your truck and the neighborhood.....this might be worth looking at. They are 100% compliant to DOT standards, have a crisp cut-off, are 5000 K color temp, and are made by one of the premier lighting companies in the US.

They are legal LED headlights. They have low beam, high beam, DRL, and they have a turn signal function too. I think it would look great, but they are something you'll have to mount to your bumper or a pushbar/brush guard.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/le...632-evolution/

Eh, it's not what you were asking about, but it seemed to do what you asked...
Old 12-05-2017, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by CeeDee
I didn't think they were available yet. The website says preorder and ships out Jan 12th.
You are correct! That may explain the lack of reviews. May look into the ones posted above as well.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
Looking at your truck and the neighborhood.....this might be worth looking at. They are 100% compliant to DOT standards, have a crisp cut-off, are 5000 K color temp, and are made by one of the premier lighting companies in the US.

They are legal LED headlights. They have low beam, high beam, DRL, and they have a turn signal function too. I think it would look great, but they are something you'll have to mount to your bumper or a pushbar/brush guard.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/le...632-evolution/

Eh, it's not what you were asking about, but it seemed to do what you asked...
Appreciate the suggestion. Im not trying to have any external lights unfortunately
Old 12-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Just The Basic Facts

Received 1,019 Likes on 634 Posts

Been waiting over a year for this to be released. Based on my past experiences with this company it should be an excellent product. I pre-ordered low and high beam. Next year/month the reviews will come flooding in.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (12-09-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Melwinn
Hi all,

I am a new owner of a Ingot Silver Supercrew 501a Lariat with the Special Edition package. As hundreds have stated, factory halogens are far less than perfect, especially coming from the '14 HIDs. I am not a huge fan of the Anzos or other aftermarket headlights, and honestly not a huge fan of the factory LEDs either. I know that LED bulbs in halogen housing can cause a lot of controversy and i would like to avoid that. SUPPOSEDLY, the new Diode Dynamics SL1 LED bulbs are designed in a way that should increase light output while still maintaining a healthy cutoff. Has anyone bought and installed these yet? I would love some feedback, and i would really love to see a 40-50 ft cutoff on a wall at night time (ideally without any glare )

Ive seen some positive feedback on the 4x4 Truck LEDs headlights as well but would prefer a bulb that fits inside the factory cover, and have yet to see a picture of the cutoff that those provide in a factory housing either. Also, those are 6500K which is a bit too blue for my liking, i would love to stay around 5K. (not sure what the SL1s are, havent found that info yet.)

To be clear, i only want to purchase LED headlights IF (big IF), they have evolved to a point to be more effective and no more dangerous than current halogen bulbs in our factory housing. I have searched the forums and havent really foudn the pictures/reviews i am looking for. Sorry if this topic exists elsewhere unbeknownst to me.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, like Husker, I've been waiting over a year now. They were supposed to release them almost a year ago so I wouldn't hold my breath. I spoke with them a few times about their product and it seemed promising, but they've missed their window.

The link that JAMADOR posted is my thread. I basically didn't want to wait for the SL1 so I started trying other bulbs out there and doing a bit of research on them. The ones I ended up getting are great in the reflectors and still have a nice cutoff pattern. Several others have found similar ones and are happy with them as well. You just need to search Amazon for ones that look the same. They always sell out fast and pop up from a different seller with a different brand slapped on it, but they're the exact same product.
The following users liked this post:
JAMADOR (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Just The Basic Facts

Received 1,019 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
Yeah, like Husker, I've been waiting over a year now. They were supposed to release them almost a year ago so I wouldn't hold my breath. I spoke with them a few times about their product and it seemed promising, but they've missed their window.
IF?????...This is another one of the times I regret getting caught in the "Will Be Available Soon Promise" I missed out on over a year of not being able to see what I want to see because of DD always telling me & everyone else they would be out in the next few weeks...Oh Well...Another lesson relearned!!!
Old 12-06-2017, 12:46 PM

I have been reading quite a few threads and saw them mentioned a year ago. A few threads even had DD talking about them in Dec 2016. I guess i just "assumed" they would have been out by now based off of that.

Crazy how long it has taken! Maybe they are just doing THAT much R&D :P

I may just wait until January and see if the hype is real. Its much less painful for me to wait a month than it has been for you guys to be waiting a year im sure. If its not out by Jan, onto other options.

Blackboosted, do you know if the DD bulbs will be the correct size based on the info you provided in your thread? I know you mention how the chip size can have a drastic effect on the throw pattern etc.

Also, out of any of the LEDs that are being suggested here, are ANY of them less than 6K in color? I am not a huge fan of the blue tint and if all LEDs are 6K plus i may need to re-assess going the LED route. Maybe ill buy a cheapy pair of headlights on ebay and attempt a 5K HID retrofit....

Last edited by Melwinn; 12-06-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Diode Dynamics SL1 User Reviews