Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership f*cked me over

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dealership f*cked me over

Hey guys, I bought a brand new 2017 F150 XLT. So for the most part I love the truck, it’s been pretty great so far. Then things started going bad, I’ve had the truck for less than a month and a few days ago I was detailing it and decided to wax it. Upon waxing it I found overspray and tape marks that clearly indicated it had been repainted. I immediately went back to the dealership and told them about it, they said they couldn’t see anything wrong and basically said I was crazy to think a brand new truck has been repainted. They decided to look up on records and sure enough they had on record it was repainted, they told me only the driver sides doors were repainted. After much closer and closer inspection, I found that the fender has been repainted and about half the cab. The reason I know is because there is extremely bad orange peel all over the areas repainted, drip marks from the paint, tape lines and overspray. They did a terrible job on it. That is not the only thing wrong with it, my doors rattle, my trim is extremely scratched up, my sync 3 navigation touch screen only works sometimes, my tires have flat spots in them, my right front fender has a very deep scratch in it, and majority of the time my A/C won’t work. There’s a few other things that are annoying. Is there anything I can do?dealership offered to repaint just the doors, I’m not waiting months for my truck to sit in the shop. I want them to trade my same truck in for the exact same thing. If not I’m just gonna sell it because it’s worth more than what I paid according to KBB.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the facts as you've outlined them are true, this is a clear case of fraud and perhaps deceptive trade.
Consulting an attorney would be my first step. The dealer likely has deep pockets so a good attorney may take your case on contingency.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2lucky:
idrive (10-19-2017), Ryan... (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:11 PM
Ford Truck Lover

Received 748 Likes on 457 Posts

I've told this story before. I had a 88 Tempo that I took payments over from my dad in 1990. In 89 he had been hit between the doors on the drivers side. Took the vehicle to the local dealership, where he bought it, to have it fixed.

in 1991 I took the car in to trade it in on a Mustang. Car came back from appraiser as having been improperly repaired after an accident with a dirt low trade-in value.

I said to my sales guy "Hmm, that's strange, because your body shop did that repair." His and the sales manager's faces drained of all blood. Took it home and told my dad. I ended up buying something from somewhere else and gave the car back to my dad.

My dad contacted Ford about what happened. The dealership fixed the car properly this time with no cost to us.

THough it might be too late at this point, you could have used a similar approach with this dealership.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:15 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Perfect example, in hindsight, of why you spend time going over the vehicle before you sign the paperwork.

Vehicles are often repainted in places by Ford or a dealer after delivery. This sounds like more than that though. I'd push harder.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:15 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by 2lucky
If the facts as you've outlined them are true, this is a clear case of fraud and perhaps deceptive trade.
Consulting an attorney would be my first step. The dealer likely has deep pockets so a good attorney may take your case on contingency.
This. You need to contact an attorney before you do anything else.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JaceJackson
... That is not the only thing wrong with it, my doors rattle, my trim is extremely scratched up, my sync 3 navigation touch screen only works sometimes, my tires have flat spots in them, my right front fender has a very deep scratch in it, and majority of the time my A/C won’t work....
Not to stir the pot but, did you not test drive this truck or do any sort of decent inspection of what you were buying? There's reasons listed above that could easily be overlooked but "an extremely deep scratch in the fender" and scratched up trim would be something I sure would think is pretty noticeable. Maybe I'm much more picky than you but I sure would inspect the crap out of a truck either way before buying and even more so if I found any flaws listed above.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The paper work you signed might have stated whether or not the vehicle had been in an accident/damaged in any way before you bought it. If that's the case then you have a great case.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Effin New Guys

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

You can't blame a guy for not noticing paint over spray on a brand new truck.

I test drove my truck, looked for obvious signs of damage, then signed the paperwork. It's not unreasonable to assume a dealership isn't hiding significant damage history on a brand new vehicle.

Like others have said, contact and attorney and good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ryan...:
allicedout (10-20-2017), Beo-Chin (10-21-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts

You don't say where you are located. You might want to contact your state's consumer division of the AG office. Depending on the state it might be illegal for the dealer not to disclose the damage on a new vehicle. Contact a lawyer and they can guide you on your recourse.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Let us know what dealership you are involved with and let us know how you are progressing in this situation.