Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 05:59 PM

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Dash Removal

My 17 King Ranch has been at the dealership for the last three weeks. They have been trying to find a strange noise. they say that the only option is to pull the dash out.
I am wondering if I should be concerned down the road with issues a rattles and squeaks. Or is not as big a deal as I think.

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

It depends on what they intend to do by “pulling the dash out.” Sometimes this means dig until they find/eliminate the issue. Other times, this is a systematic full removal and reinstallation.

To your point, I would weigh the repair against the possible issues down the road. Poorly aligned panels, wiring that gets punctured, not secured, or rubs through, fingerprints/stains, scratches, etc. These are things you hope you avoid or find early on. That is not always the case.

While this is not a common repair, is is done with some frequency. You will likely hear horror stories from some members. Like many stories here, not many tell the tale of how the dealership got it right, on time, the first time. Take it at face value.

All that said, if the noise I hear can be offset by listening to the radio at a comfortable volume, I would take a pass at having the dealership “pull the dash out”.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

What strange noises in the dash are we talking about.? Based on my experience (having the dash replaced twice due to warping/separation ) I would avoid this AT ALL COST!
They have broken panels, created scratches, missing tabs everywhere, bolts not tightened or torqued some even stripped. To this day I am chasing squeaks , rattles other noises and finding loose bolts and and missing parts. Hell there was even missing insulation and I could tell right away as my truck sounded louder in the cabin.

THINK TWICE
Old 03-08-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 428 Likes on 293 Posts

Unless it was a very serious issue that ABSOLUTELY required dash removal there's NO WAY I would want a dealer doing it! There's no way of knowing with certainty any dealership is going to get everything back in place like it was done at the factory. We're not talking about tech's that do this kind of work on say Ferrari's or Lambo's.....

It would have to be the last resort before I would agree to having my dash removed...........
Old 03-08-2018, 07:57 PM

There is a strange whistle sound coming from the left of the steering in the dash when about 5 seconds sfyer start up. It last maybe 3 seconds.
they say they think it is an A/C actuator and the only way to know for sure is to remove the dash
Old 03-08-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am with the others...I would avoid dash removal at all costs. You could have a much more annoying issue after the "repair" than what you have now.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I factory ordered a 18 f150, arrived with a couple of scuff marks on dash where it slightly lifted the material on the pass side air bag,
truck showed 11 kilometers on it when I picked it up, I cringed at the thought of dash removal to replace but went ahead with it. The shop foreman said the dashes were made to come out easily and in the next sentence said it was a 6-8 hour job. They had the truck a day and a half and so far except for some trim issues which I corrected all seems ok so far, Although its only been a week and a half.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts

Having removed an F150 dash, I wouldn't begin to trust a dealership mechanic to do it.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:16 PM

Good news!!!
They didn't have to pull the entire dash out of my truck after all. They found the noise coming from a blend door actuator and were able to access it by removing a few of the dash trim pieces.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stvbrtls
Good news!!!
They didn't have to pull the entire dash out of my truck after all. They found the noise coming from a blend door actuator and were able to access it by removing a few of the dash trim pieces.

Do you happen to know what they removed to access it? I am trying to find the location of the blend door actuator since I have no heat and stuck on cold. Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply: Dash Removal