Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash cam options

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dash cam options

Dallas drivers suck. Looking for a dash cam. Doesn't have to be 1080p and all that stuff but I would like a small, clean looking camera that can be hard wired so it doesn't take up a USB port. Looked on amazon but they all seem to require a USB port for power.

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-25-2017, 05:49 AM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by F150Ryan97
Dallas drivers suck. Looking for a dash cam. Doesn't have to be 1080p and all that stuff but I would like a small, clean looking camera that can be hard wired so it doesn't take up a USB port. Looked on amazon but they all seem to require a USB port for power.

Thanks for any help!
I am in the process for shopping for one myself-I would recommend that you try and get the highest def you can with good night vision. You want to be able to see license plates as much as possible, and high def is needed for that.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:49 AM
Flaccid Member

Received 569 Likes on 358 Posts

The options get better daily. I'm still satisfied with the one I bought several years ago (
link to Amazon link to Amazon
). It's no longer available on Prime, so I'm guessing it's been replaced by something better.

Capacitive power source. Internal microSD card. I've only pulled a few videos from it in several years. I'm more than satisfied with the resolution and frame rate. It records in 5-minute intervals, and with a 32MB, I get maybe two weeks of regular drive time (about an hour, hour and a half daily). It automatically overwrites old video. I can pull the entire unit easily off the glass and plug it in to read, or just remove the card. It's also got a shock detector, so if I choose to leave it plugged into a constant-on power source, it'll record if the truck is bumped. It's got a display, but I tuck the whole thing on the passenger side behind the rearview mirror so I don't see it.

Resolution isn't really a differentiating feature at this point. Probably everything will be 1080x760 at a minimum. If I were buying again, I might get a two-channel recorder so I could record behind me.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Friendly Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by F150Ryan97

Thanks for any help!
This is what I went with. I also got the optional rear camera as well.
Hard wired it to fuse panel. Excellent device, I love the continuous recording when parked.

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F770
The following users liked this post:
Tetramethyl (11-29-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I had a Thinkware dash cam that bricked on me while doing a firmware update. The WiFi on it also sucked and didn’t connect very well.

Check out dashcamtalk.com, lots of great information.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:38 AM
Tommy

Received 4,265 Likes on 2,183 Posts

I bought the Lukas QVIA AR790 dual dash cam system -https://www.carid.com/lukas/qvia-ful...-ar790-16.html
It uses a mico sd card up to 256gb... & takes up very little room on the windshield

They also have a one camera version

Old 11-28-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

usb powered dash cam doesn't NEED a usb port to operate. Just need to make sure only 5V is going to the dash cam. There are tie in options out there.

I bought a blackbox B60 or something like that. Great camera and easy to install.

Just watch out tho - the auto start/stop function on these F150's sucks when it comes to power management. My B60 camera always turns off upon every "restart" of the engine from the Auto S/S function. That super quick disconnect/reconnect of power tricks the camera into thinking the power was cut off.

At that point you'll want a camera with a built in battery. But if you live in a very hot climate (down south) a battery dash cam may not be ideal as it can go boom boom cooking in the heat all day. A capacitor dash cam (stores a very short limited amount of power) fixes that issue but that's what I got in my camera and I don't think it's a power issue - I think it's the quick flick of power off/on that screws with my camera and makes it turn off.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

I have had a Mobius actioncam from spytec for a few years. Small, HiDef, day/night capable, capacitor, does most of what I need. Moved it from a Lexus to Acura and now I will install it in my new truck. I have always had a switched power supply in the roof, either moon roof or auto dimming mirror so it turns on/off with vehicle operations. When I get around to installing it I will post more information. My 2017 V8 does not have auto s/s so no problems there.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

The Blackvue cameras are quite popular as well.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around 8 months ago I ordered
this dashcam this dashcam
and
this hardwire kit this hardwire kit
after a friend recommended it to me. Amazon appears to have them in stock sporadically, but they seem to have the hardwire kits consistently. I haven't had any issues with mine thus far.

I wired it up to a switched fuse in the cab fuse box that it shares with my CB (which # fuse I don't remember) so it turns on/off automatically with the truck.

Last edited by AR96; 12-05-2017 at 04:28 PM.