Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling the campershell for dogs

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Cooling the campershell for dogs

Summer is Here in So Cal , had a 98 deg day a couple days ago .
Im thinking of doing a campershell for My dogs , My air con works good enough to chill out the interior , and am wondering if Anyone has cooled a campershell through Our little back window .
Old 05-07-2018, 01:19 PM

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I’ve seen guys run duct work from their rear a/c vents to the rear window of the truck.

If you like redneck ingenuity, I’ve seen guys retro fit window units and run the power cable up to the 12v plug in the dash
The following users liked this post:
Jeffsmachine (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

Yeah, I do it. I open the rear cab window and camper shell window. I point the rear seat ait vents right at the open rear window. It gets some cool air back to the dogs.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:22 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

You might be able to rig a fan in the rear window to blow air into the bed. But it would have to be very cold in the cab to be able to cool the bed area since the shells aren't insulated, and the sun will heat up the shell a lot turning it into an oven.

I would probably try to consider other options if it were me.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
You might be able to rig a fan in the rear window to blow air into the bed. But it would have to be very cold in the cab to be able to cool the bed area since the shells aren't insulated, and the sun will heat up the shell a lot turning it into an oven.

I would probably try to consider other options if it were me.
Turn the fan way up and close the front vents. While not perfect it does get a good amount of cool air to the shell. I point the rear seat vents right at the rear window. I have done this traveling across the country several times and it works fairly well.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

They make these little air hoses that you can pipe in the A/C to an area like for babies and children in the back of your car. you could try using that and put it through the back window

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-07-2018, 02:19 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Rontbeamer
Turn the fan way up and close the front vents. While not perfect it does get a good amount of cool air to the shell. I point the rear seat vents right at the rear window. I have done this traveling across the country several times and it works fairly well.
But have you checked what the actual temperature is inside the shell both while moving and while stopped? In strong sun etc? Remember you have a live animal in there, and just climb in, close it all up and hang out in there for a while and see if it's actually comfortable or not. The cool air might not make up for the radiating heat from the shell. You have to also be aware of any exhaust fumes getting in there, especially if the shell has an open slider/window on the exhaust side.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks to Everybody so far, I've looked at maybe insulating the inside of the shell with rigid foam insulation , and maybe getting a Breezer brand or other back window that opens bigger . Of course , I would never leave Them in there parked in the heat.

Quick Reply: Cooling the campershell for dogs