Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compass Sensor Location

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 08:07 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Compass Sensor Location

Anyone know where the compass sensor on a 2018 F150 Screw with the 3.5 Ecoboost is located? I assume in the rear view mirror on the windshield?

I am looking to integrate a tablet into my dash like I did on my 2012...to get a reverse camera picture I swapped out the factory mirror with an aftermarket on with a 4.3 display. In dong so, I lost my compass. Seems a small deal, but I like to have it available on my dash if needed.

If I lose the compass, I'll ty to figure a better way to integrate the tablet.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2019, 09:04 PM

Received 394 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by cbbennin
Anyone know where the compass sensor on a 2018 F150 Screw with the 3.5 Ecoboost is located? I assume in the rear view mirror on the windshield?

I am looking to integrate a tablet into my dash like I did on my 2012...to get a reverse camera picture I swapped out the factory mirror with an aftermarket on with a 4.3 display. In dong so, I lost my compass. Seems a small deal, but I like to have it available on my dash if needed.

If I lose the compass, I'll ty to figure a better way to integrate the tablet.

Thanks!
Your GPS provides the compass. I'm guessing it will be on the roof of your truck. It feeds into the APIM if that is what your looking for.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:52 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,504 Posts

I don't know where it is (it isn't from the GPS, the truck has a real magnetic compass on board) but it isn't in the mirror. I don't have a rearview mirror at all... and my compass works great.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by tvsjr
I don't know where it is (it isn't from the GPS, the truck has a real magnetic compass on board) but it isn't in the mirror. I don't have a rearview mirror at all... and my compass works great.
Try disconnecting your GPS antenna and see how well your compass works. When I upgraded my 2015 to sync3, I had to keep my old gps antenna in place for the compass to work.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:44 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy49913
Try disconnecting your GPS antenna and see how well your compass works. When I upgraded my 2015 to sync3, I had to keep my old gps antenna in place for the compass to work.
You seem to misunderstand. There is some chance that the compass is in the GPS antenna module... but the truck still has a real magnetic compass onboard. It's not getting the compass information directly from GPS, as it would show you going the opposite direction if you backed up, for instance.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

GPS by itself can't provide a compass heading. GPS only computes position based on time difference of signals arriving from 3 or more satellites orbiting the Earth. GPS can compute a track based on direction of travel between two observed positions. If your truck were sliding sideways on ice it might be travelling north but pointed west. In this case a compass would point to the West. Same thing when travelling in reverse, truck pointed South but tracking North.
Sensor is usually as far away from interference as possible, like inside front bumper or rear view mirror
Old 11-04-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by tvsjr
You seem to misunderstand. There is some chance that the compass is in the GPS antenna module... but the truck still has a real magnetic compass onboard. It's not getting the compass information directly from GPS, as it would show you going the opposite direction if you backed up, for instance.
Then that is where it is, the GPS antenna. If I pull the plug on it, I lose my compass. Mine is in the dash.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:36 AM

GPSM
For vehicles equipped with SYNC Services® or SIRIUS Data Services, the GPSM provides vehicle location
information for real-time traffic reports and for traffic avoidance re-routing.

The GPS antenna integral to the GPSM is used to acquire the compass heading. The compass heading is sent
over the CAN to be displayed on the centerstack infotainment display.

The GPSM provides vehicle location information for identifying the vehicle location in the event of a collision.
For vehicles with navigation, the GPSM acts as the antenna for the navigation system.

I'm pretty sure that when the truck is sitting in the garage, sometimes it has no idea which direction its facing, it maybe after a reset of the APIM, but I have seen it wrong. Once it is moving, things straighten out.

Last edited by Gordy49913; 11-04-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:47 AM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

.....I'm pretty sure that when the truck is sitting in the garage, sometimes it has no idea which direction its facing,......
Maybe it saves the last heading to PCM memory while the truck is still rolling into its parking spot?

Quick Reply: Compass Sensor Location