Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P2418, then failed PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 11:30 AM

Received 348 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Code P2418, then failed PCM?

Anyone else experienced a somewhat-failed PCM?

My truck has had a CEL on for a bit and a P4218 code (EVAP switching valve control circuit open), but neither drivability nor fuel mileage has been affected as best I could tell. I brought the truck in to get the door lock issue and block-heater recall done, and asked them to deal with the CEL at the same time.

Initially, they thought it was a stuck solenoid (which does seem to match the code's error message), then a broken wire (possibly introduced when replacing the solenoid), and now that the CEL has returned again, the conclusion is that the PCM needs replacing.

I'm mostly surprised that a PCM could be misbehaving without introducing drivability issues. Anyone else encounter anything similar, perchance?
Old 09-24-2019, 10:07 AM

Just to follow up, as I've finally gotten the paperwork from the dealer, it appears that they replaced both the PCM and the VBV valve (not an acronym I'm familiar with, but apparently a solenoid-operated valve that's part of the evap / emissions-control system); parts included 12A650 (Engine Control Module), 9C015A & 9D333 (both listed as "hose - connecting"), and 9F945 (Solenoid assembly). The tech's writeup notes he had to drop the tank to inspect the VBV valve and then found melted plastic to the solenoid, so he replaced the evap tubing over and near the tank. I'm not sure if it's a result of them addressing a sticking-caliper issue or the PCM swap, but I am seeing improved fuel mileage compared to what I was getting at any point previously.
The following users liked this post:
JardinF150 (02-22-2024)
Old 03-09-2021, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kbroderick...great post. Thank you.

I have a 2016 F-150 2.7 EcoBoost and have been struggling with code P2418. I changed the purge valve and just had the vapor canister changed. Truck runs fine and have had no issues.

Did you struggle getting gas in your truck too? I have this code going on/off and am struggling to get gas too.

Did what the dealer changed above with the ECM and solenoid assy do the trick?

Thanks again,
Old 03-09-2021, 08:40 PM

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Was this repair done on your dime, or did a warranty cover it? Seems like the pcm replacement wasn't needed. MPG calculations could be different as the new module learns the particulars for your vehicle. Could also have a different level of calibration.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:06 PM

Mtech...Do you have any ideas what I should be looking at? Im struggling to get gas with the pump shutting off and have code P2418 going on and off. I have changed the vapor canister and the purge valve but neither seem to have done the trick. Should I look at the ECM and Solenoid Assembly?
Old 06-23-2021, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too had this P2418 trouble code pop up on my 2016 F150 XLT with 2.7EB truck a few weeks ago. My first guess was the easy replacement of the Canister Purge Valve that is located under the hood. Cleared the code with my OBD tool and after a couple short trips the code popped up again. Next thought was to replace the Canister Vent Solenoid mounted onto the charcoal canister under the truck near the fuel tank. Again reset the code and again it popped up with the 2418. Did a lot of on-line researching and even purchased and downloaded a Workshop manual for my VIN through Factory Manuals. From all this I learned that the EVAP Switching Valve is aka Vapor Blocking Valve (VBV) or Vapor Management Valve (VMV). The manual states that the EVAP emission blocking valve is service with the fuel tank pressure sensor and tube, located on top of fuel tank. Decided to tackle this job and dropped the fuel tank to access the tube assy p/n 9F945. Went to my local Ford dealer and purchased this part. The other U-shaped tube assy is p/n 9C015 which is the Fuel tank pressure sensor. They didn’t have this part in stock and they told me they virtually never see a need for it and the 9F945 is the more common part replaced. Install this tube assy in place of suspected bad one, reinstalled tank, cleared the code and drove for 2 days on many start-stop trips and code has not returned. I feel very confident this is now fixed. I did this work all alone in my driveway. Took about 2 hrs to drop the tank as it was a learning curve, about 1 hour to reinstall. The part cost me $240 from the dealer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fuel Tank top view.pdf (653.7 KB, 1013 views)

Last edited by BucFanMike; 06-23-2021 at 02:14 PM.
m1ke (09-01-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the follow up. I ended up changing out the same 2 parts and that did the trick. I have highlighted diagram attached. Hopefully this helps someone down the road. I had changed the purge valve and charcoal canister before that. Thank you.

I had that same code and my truck struggled to get gas.

Originally Posted by BucFanMike
I too had this P2418 trouble code pop up on my 2016 F150 XLT with 2.7EB truck a few weeks ago. My first guess was the easy replacement of the Canister Purge Valve that is located under the hood. Cleared the code with my OBD tool and after a couple short trips the code popped up again. Next thought was to replace the Canister Vent Solenoid mounted onto the charcoal canister under the truck near the fuel tank. Again reset the code and again it popped up with the 2418. Did a lot of on-line researching and even purchased and downloaded a Workshop manual for my VIN through Factory Manuals. From all this I learned that the EVAP Switching Valve is aka Vapor Blocking Valve (VBV) or Vapor Management Valve (VMV). The manual states that the EVAP emission blocking valve is service with the fuel tank pressure sensor and tube, located on top of fuel tank. Decided to tackle this job and dropped the fuel tank to access the tube assy p/n 9F945. Went to my local Ford dealer and purchased this part. The other U-shaped tube assy is p/n 9C015 which is the Fuel tank pressure sensor. They didn’t have this part in stock and they told me they virtually never see a need for it and the 9F945 is the more common part replaced. Install this tube assy in place of suspected bad one, reinstalled tank, cleared the code and drove for 2 days on many start-stop trips and code has not returned. I feel very confident this is now fixed. I did this work all alone in my driveway. Took about 2 hrs to drop the tank as it was a learning curve, about 1 hour to reinstall. The part cost me $240 from the dealer.

Last edited by Eric Weaver; 06-23-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Bdanker (11-07-2023)
Old 07-02-2021, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Weaver
kbroderick...great post. Thank you.

I have a 2016 F-150 2.7 EcoBoost and have been struggling with code P2418. I changed the purge valve and just had the vapor canister changed. Truck runs fine and have had no issues.

Did you struggle getting gas in your truck too? I have this code going on/off and am struggling to get gas too.

Did what the dealer changed above with the ECM and solenoid assy do the trick?

Thanks again,
Haven't been active on here, so I just saw the reply. I have not seen anything similar since the repair, and I've got plenty of time and mileage in since. No struggle getting gas in my truck.

Originally Posted by mtech
Was this repair done on your dime, or did a warranty cover it? Seems like the pcm replacement wasn't needed. MPG calculations could be different as the new module learns the particulars for your vehicle. Could also have a different level of calibration.
My repair was covered under the 3/36 factory warranty. Mileage has continued to be on the improved side overall, and I do calculate based on gallons purchased vs miles traveled, not relying on the computer calculation.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had the same code on 2017 2.7 with under 40k miles. I reset it but the first drive it came right back. I have an extended warranty so took it to the dealer. Same as others have mentioned, dealer replaced the vent tube and the solenoid and 250 miles so far and code hasn't returned.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:33 AM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

I know it's been about a year since some of these were posted, but I now have the P2418 code, ordered the VBV from local dealer and plan to do it myself in the driveway next week (06/13/22 ish). Any advice on dropping the tank? My main concern is the filler neck. I had my truck up on a lift while getting the oil changed the other day and was able to get a good look at it, but I wasn't able to see how or where to disconnect the filler neck hose.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by TerryH22; 06-06-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Code P2418, then failed PCM?