Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging AGM battery in cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Charging AGM battery in cold weather?

In an earlier post I got advice about the System off to save battery warning. As a result I purchased a NOCO genius 5 changer. My question is that when researching battery charging information, I see that it is not advisable to charge an AGM battery if the temperature is below 32 degrees fahrenheit. I am in Montana and the temperature hasn't been above 32 degrees for a couple weeks. Right now it is 5 degrees. According to the charger manual it monitors the temprature. Do I really need to wait untill the temperature gets above 32 degrees?
Old 01-20-2023, 01:30 PM

Received 2,295 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by garan
In an earlier post I got advice about the System off to save battery warning. As a result I purchased a NOCO genius 5 changer. My question is that when researching battery charging information, I see that it is not advisable to charge an AGM battery if the temperature is below 32 degrees fahrenheit. I am in Montana and the temperature hasn't been above 32 degrees for a couple weeks. Right now it is 5 degrees. According to the charger manual it monitors the temprature. Do I really need to wait untill the temperature gets above 32 degrees?
Every time you start your truck, it is going to start charging your battery, regardless of the temperature.

My NOCO G7200 Manual says the following:

If a battery’s (Wet, Gel, MF or AGM) temperature is below 32°F (0°C), use the COLD/AGM charge mode.
The following users liked this post:
N4HHE (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 01:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I would keep it on a trickle... wont hurt anything.
My truck stays parked 90% of the week so its always on a low amp charge.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:31 AM

Received 648 Likes on 452 Posts

My CTEK charger gives a range of -4 F to 122 F, automatically adjusts for temperature.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:11 PM

Received 1,195 Likes on 823 Posts

To be sure everyone understands the battery requirement as it is applied >>in the truck.
The BMS in the truck gets the temperature calculation from the Sensor in the Negative lead and limits the charge by Alternator (control signal) applied to the Alternator that limits the charge voltage/current vs temperature.
Don't disconnect this Sensor for any reason!
Charging from an outside source that also has it's own temperatures control circuit is doing the same thing for charger current control limiting. The side effect is the BMS also detects the effects of outside charging and needs to do an adjustment over time as the whole vehicle system comes back to equilibrium again.
Those chargers that don't have this ability but have high current capability can be detrimental to battery overall life by force charging at high levels that can result in overheating the cells..
The reason is, without any control, the difference in voltage between the charger and the battery is the only control there is, such that the Current forced into the battery only tapers down as the Battery voltage rises. The charge current reduces as a result when the battery voltage and the charger are nearly the same.
At high charge levels this happens much faster and does the damage until a fault develops and causes the battery to lose capacity and in "effect" can never fully recover due to the fault. In other words charging at significant current levels never stops, as the result of a fault or age. At this point the battery needs to be replaced due the poor cranking, and low capacity and/or voltage effects on other systems in the vehicle and the alarm / signals that appear..
Old 01-21-2023, 04:27 PM

Received 1,195 Likes on 823 Posts

In the old vehicles that only have Alternator Regulator control, a battery fault that results in constant high charging rates, boils the battery electrolyte level down, uncovers the Cell plates, wears the Alternator brushes down faster, overheats the Alternator, runs the vehicle systems at higher voltages and results in head light short life and other Lamps that were only deigned to run at 14 volts not continuously at higher voltages and even results in lower fuel mileage due to the Load the Alternator is needlessly putting on the engine over the time period the battery should have already recovered its charge..
Old 01-21-2023, 06:53 PM

Received 353 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Tweather
I would keep it on a trickle... wont hurt anything.
My truck stays parked 90% of the week so its always on a low amp charge.
same here

Trending Topics

Old 01-21-2023, 08:47 PM

Received 505 Likes on 310 Posts

You bought a NOCO genious charger it is smarter than any internet info out there. Connect it on the + post of your battery and to a chassis ground or on the back side of the trucks BCM control connection by the battery negative terminal so all charge goes through the BCM monitor of the truck so it can update it's charge level reading.
The following users liked this post:
N4HHE (01-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Charging AGM battery in cold weather?