Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera Guidelines

Old 05-01-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera Guidelines

I've had my 2015 for a year and a half with no issues out of my backup camera. Yesterday I installed a light bar in the front of my truck, and before I started wiring it up, I disconnected my battery so as to not take the chance of incidental grounding. When I finished and hooked it back up, everything came up fine except for the guidelines and center line on the backup camera. The only thing I did that could have damaged anything electrically is making a cut in the large stock grommet behind the brake pedal to run the switch through, and I stayed away from all other wires running through and even if I had hit something it was all wires running from the engine bay. The only options I have in settings are for the Delay and the backup alert. Anybody ran into any similar issues with any solutions? I don't mind taking it to the dealership if I have to but only after checking off all other options.
Thanks.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:00 AM
Ford Truck Lover

Received 748 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleDFX4
I've had my 2015 for a year and a half with no issues out of my backup camera. Yesterday I installed a light bar in the front of my truck, and before I started wiring it up, I disconnected my battery so as to not take the chance of incidental grounding. When I finished and hooked it back up, everything came up fine except for the guidelines and center line on the backup camera. The only thing I did that could have damaged anything electrically is making a cut in the large stock grommet behind the brake pedal to run the switch through, and I stayed away from all other wires running through and even if I had hit something it was all wires running from the engine bay. The only options I have in settings are for the Delay and the backup alert. Anybody ran into any similar issues with any solutions? I don't mind taking it to the dealership if I have to but only after checking off all other options.
Thanks.
The only time I've seen this is when I tried to use a lighted trailer hitch cover (the kind that plugs into the 4 prong towing electrical source). The truck thinks I have a trailer connected and the guidelines do not show on backing up. Is it possible that you used this same power for the lightbar?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 367 Likes on 268 Posts

Did you drive the truck at all? I have been playing with the BCM and the active guild lines go away until taking for a drive.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:13 AM

I used a complete wiring kit so had a stand alone relay fuse and switch, and is wired straight to the battery terminals.

I drove it a little bit last night and then 15 miles to work this morning but did not put it into reverse to check when I got here. I will see if something had to reset after having the battery disconnected.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

On my 2013, the settings are under CAMERA, perhaps look there.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:45 PM

Not sure what happened but I checked it at lunch and the guidelines were back. I'm assuming it just had to reset after the battery was disconnected.
Thanks guys.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 367 Likes on 268 Posts

per shop manual

If the battery has been disconnected or discharged, or a module is disconnected or replaced, the active guidelines may be inoperative until the vehicle is driven on a flat and smooth road at 32 km/h (20 mph) or more, with hands placed loosely on the steering wheel and minimal steering correction for approximately 30 seconds.

If the guidelines are remain inoperative, it may be necessary to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes with the driver's door open, then drive the vehicle for 5 miles in normal city driving before performing the procedure described above.
The following 2 users liked this post by lucas8888:
Husker (05-02-2017), rbird2 (02-19-2020)
Old 07-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lucas8888
per shop manual

If the battery has been disconnected or discharged, or a module is disconnected or replaced, the active guidelines may be inoperative until the vehicle is driven on a flat and smooth road at 32 km/h (20 mph) or more, with hands placed loosely on the steering wheel and minimal steering correction for approximately 30 seconds.

If the guidelines are remain inoperative, it may be necessary to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes with the driver's door open, then drive the vehicle for 5 miles in normal city driving before performing the procedure described above.
I added a rear camera to my truck and the guidelines appeared right off the bat but they always go to the left no matter which way I turn my steering wheel. I've driven my f150 2017 xl hundreds of miles since I added it. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?
Old 02-18-2020, 01:49 PM

Default I'm having this same problem

Originally Posted by Bfanlc
I added a rear camera to my truck and the guidelines appeared right off the bat but they always go to the left no matter which way I turn my steering wheel. I've driven my f150 2017 xl hundreds of miles since I added it. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?
I'm having this same problem with my newly installed OEM camera. My lines turn all the way to the left when my truck starts to move in reverse, they follow the steering wheel just fine when in park. Did you ever find a fix to this "always left" guidelines issue?

Search this Thread