Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autobody shops for repainting aluminum, does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 06:23 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Autobody shops for repainting aluminum, does it matter?

I have some cosmetic damage that covers multiple body panels, but no bent metal, so it’s just a remove/prep/paint/reinstall job. I have read a bit about Ford certifying body shops for handling the F150. Supposedly they use a different primer for corrosion protection when being painted? I’m not sure what else.

I used Ford’s collision repair locator, and there are a couple of shops in the state but none are particularly convenient. I got an estimate from one shop, and got a bad vibe when they explained the charges and the first line item was 1 hour of labor to check my engine codes with their OBD-II scanner before they start work.

My question is, for a repaint of the door and rear fender, should I care whether or not it’s a Ford certified shop? Or is this a simple procedure that any reputable shop can do? I have to cover it out of pocket, so I’m trying to keep costs down. I’ll pay to have it done right, but I don’t want to get taken for a ride on inflated charges, which I think that certified shop might be doing.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:05 PM

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd say if you have a reputable shop, use them. Every body shop worth it's own salt wants to stand behind their work, which means they'll know how to handle any aluminum body paint work.
I was a Service Manager at a Ford dealership in 2015 when this was all happening, only real reason to become "Ford certified" was so that you could do warranty paint repairs, most body shops in my area thought the costs involved and the hoops they had to jump through weren't worth Ford short paying their body shop claims with warranty rates.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:45 PM
F150 Wannabe

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve got a reputable painter close to me who happens to have his shop at the Ford dealer. Guarantees his work for as long as you own the car. Find that kind of guy.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:05 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor22
I’ve got a reputable painter close to me who happens to have his shop at the Ford dealer. Guarantees his work for as long as you own the car. Find that kind of guy.
Easier said than done! I have no idea how to even gauge a painter’s reputation. Last place I used had great reviews and the car had paint bubbles on it that chipped off and started peeling shortly after. So, I know not to go there!

Every shop I’ve heard of has that guarantee, but I don’t want to deal with fighting them over a bad job and having to go back several times.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:22 PM

Received 3,935 Likes on 2,510 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. F150 hoods have been aluminum since 1997.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:26 PM
F150 Wannabe

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by horseshoes
Easier said than done! I have no idea how to even gauge a painter’s reputation. Last place I used had great reviews and the car had paint bubbles on it that chipped off and started peeling shortly after. So, I know not to go there!

Every shop I’ve heard of has that guarantee, but I don’t want to deal with fighting them over a bad job and having to go back several times.
Fair enough. I guess I got lucky. Nobody in this shop has worked at this shop for less than 20yrs.
I’d say skip the big chains as that’s where the high turnover (lowest paid) shop guys are going to be.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:51 PM
mds
just some guy

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I got an estimate from one shop, and got a bad vibe when they explained the charges and the first line item was 1 hour of labor to check my engine codes with their OBD-II scanner before they start work.
Oh, hell no! What kind of crooked nonsense is that?

Your bad vibes were 100% correct.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:34 PM

Received 644 Likes on 270 Posts

I

I used Ford’s collision repair locator, and there are a couple of shops in the state but none are particularly convenient. I got an estimate from one shop, and got a bad vibe when they explained the charges and the first line item was 1 hour of labor to check my engine codes with their OBD-II scanner before they start work.
Definitely need the engine codes checked first to avoid ever-spray!
Old 03-29-2019, 11:11 PM

Received 423 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by NASSTY
I wouldn't worry about it. F150 hoods have been aluminum since 1997.
Plus they have been building aluminum cars since the 1920s or so. It's not new like everyone seems to think.

The most common example is the Land Rover that has been in production since 1948 and has been aluminum bodied since introduced.

Last edited by KWS 2.7; 03-29-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:11 PM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Check out previous posts by @mbullock or maybe he'll reply directly... he seems to know a thing or two about this topic!

Quick Reply: Autobody shops for repainting aluminum, does it matter?