Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone upgrade front turn signals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 645 Likes on 352 Posts

Default Anyone upgrade front turn signals?

Looking for an amber only (no switchback), led turn signal to run as drl's on my halogens. Looking for recommendations, or ones to steer clear of.
Specifically looking for a deeper amber colour with a bit more brightness than OEM.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_bravo00
Looking for an amber only (no switchback), led turn signal to run as drl's on my halogens. Looking for recommendations, or ones to steer clear of.
Specifically looking for a deeper amber colour with a bit more brightness than OEM.
I too wanted some LED bulbs for my turn signals to run as DRLs. tried 3 different LED bulbs from Amazon:

LUYED 900 Lumens LUYED 900 Lumens
iBrightstar iBrightstar
Alla Lighting Alla Lighting

The
LUYED 900 Lumens LUYED 900 Lumens
seemed to be by far the brightest so I returned the other 2. My only complaints about this bulb are that it is more yellowish as opposed to amber and it doesn't fully emit light into the reflector so depending on what angle you are at it has some "dead" spots but it is really only noticeable in the day time and not so much at night.

Above you can see the "dead" spots in the reflector with the LED bulb in the day time.

I have searched a lot though and so far most of the LED bulbs I've seen suffer from these two issues. If you are straight on they do a good job of throwing the light but I think the base is a little too long so even though the LEDs do emit light in a full 360 degrees, the bulb sits just a little too far forward in the housing for it to properly reflect light the stock halogen. I'm still in search of something else but in the meantime I'm using them and one of the nice things is I can run them all day and they don't get anywhere near as hot as the stock halogens did.

Above: Stock turn signal bulbs Below: LED turn signal bulbs
The following users liked this post:
Johnny_bravo00 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the detailed response Rambo, that's exactly the type of info I'm looking for. The stock halogen headlight crowd doesn't get any love on the forum LOL.
Rambo007 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm in the market for amber 7444na led's. I tried some cheap ones from eBay and they were junk. I also tried the following sylvania led's. The package said they were 7443 but also fit 7444na. They did not fit and would not snap it. So I'm still looking. DIode Dynamics sells some but they are kinda pricy.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone upgrade front turn signals?-photo827.jpg  
Johnny_bravo00 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I have no personal experience with these, but I noticed that Diode Dynamics sells non-switchback amber turn signals. From what I've read on the forum it seems like people have been happy with Diode Dynamics products.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/by-veh...rd-f150-152195
Old 09-18-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 1,585 Likes on 950 Posts

I know you said no switchbacks, but I love my DD switchbacks! They really "class-up" the factory halogen lights, IMO. The white LED running lights are super bright, and look good in the housing (especially the smoke housing on my SE), and the amber turn/flash is also much brighter than stock.

If you haven't seen a set in a truck, it might change your mind if you do. Had mine going on 4 years, in two trucks, still going strong.
ManMountainDean (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dalola
I know you said no switchbacks, but I love my DD switchbacks! They really "class-up" the factory halogen lights, IMO. The white LED running lights are super bright, and look good in the housing (especially the smoke housing on my SE), and the amber turn/flash is also much brighter than stock.

If you haven't seen a set in a truck, it might change your mind if you do. Had mine going on 4 years, in two trucks, still going strong.
Are they true amber or more yellow? I have a Raptor style grille with the 3 amber LEDs that are very amber and my OCD-ness can't handle the difference between them and my yellowish LED turn signals.

Trending Topics

Old 09-18-2018, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by dalola

In my honest opinion, they really cheese up the vehicle. I feel the same way when superduty guys with cab marker lights swap them out for blue/white lights. I just feel like they don’t belong.

I may may be in the minority wanting to actually brighten the amber, but it looks so good lit up with my tow mirror running lights & morimoto fogs.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 1,585 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambo007
Are they true amber or more yellow? I have a Raptor style grille with the 3 amber LEDs that are very amber and my OCD-ness can't handle the difference between them and my yellowish LED turn signals.
Subjective, but I'll go with nice bright amber.

Originally Posted by Johnny_bravo00
In my honest opinion, they really cheese up the vehicle. I feel the same way when superduty guys with cab marker lights swap them out for blue/white lights. I just feel like they don’t belong.
I may may be in the minority wanting to actually brighten the amber, but it looks so good lit up with my tow mirror running lights & morimoto fogs.

LOL....funny how we can look at the same thing & see it so different. To be fair tho, these are far from the cheap blue-tinted look some bulbs provide. I don't like those, either. These are a nice "clean" white, and IMO, look like they belong there. Good luck with your search
Johnny_bravo00 (09-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrade front turn signals?