Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have a ticking in their 5.0?

Old 06-08-2018, 01:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Anyone else have a ticking in their 5.0?

Bought a 5.0 Super Crew in Feb. I have not been very impressed with it. My wife is the main driver so it's her baby. I notice a not so quiet tick in the engine. Not LOUD .........but definitely noticeable. Engine also pings a little when I use regular unleaded. At 3.79 for premium this is annoying. This engine has 5,000 miles on it and sounds like the engine in my '94 Ranger. It's done this since new and it doesn't seem to be lacking power so I am just assuming that along with the annoying, ever shifting, rattling ten speed transmission it is all "normal?". So disappointed. I want my '13 back! Anyone else experiencing any of this with the 5.0? I am thinking that maybe some of the rattling in the trans has something to do with the auto stop/start technology? Another useless piece of tech! It's 110 in the shade it never shuts off anyway with max a/c on.

Last edited by rbail1; 06-08-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:50 AM

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Mine makes a ticking. But itís not terrible. I think itís just the lifters and totally normal.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:57 AM

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Iíve owned 3 Ford 5.0 engines and an 03 Tritons 5.4 and they have all had the ticking sound at idle. They have all ran 300k kms without any issues other than regular maintenance and were sold to other people who got more kms out of them.

Now if I had a knocking sound... Iíd be concerned.

I also run regular gas.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:47 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rbail1 View Post
Bought a 5.0 Super Crew in Feb. I have not been very impressed with it. My wife is the main driver so it's her baby. I notice a not so quiet tick in the engine. Not LOUD .........but definitely noticeable. Engine also pings a little when I use regular unleaded. At 3.79 for premium this is annoying. This engine has 5,000 miles on it and sounds like the engine in my '94 Ranger. It's done this since new and it doesn't seem to be lacking power so I am just assuming that along with the annoying, ever shifting, rattling ten speed transmission it is all "normal?". So disappointed. I want my '13 back! Anyone else experiencing any of this with the 5.0? I am thinking that maybe some of the rattling in the trans has something to do with the auto stop/start technology? Another useless piece of tech! It's 110 in the shade it never shuts off anyway with max a/c on.
Are you sure you are not hearing the high pressure injectors?
The following 3 users liked this post by 20004.6:
rbail1 (06-08-2018), SCrewYou (06-08-2018), Summers22 (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 20004.6 View Post
Are you sure you are not hearing the high pressure injectors?
Could be.......like I said it seems to run fine. This thing makes noises like a 30 year old truck. The pinging is noticeable when I switch back in forth from regular and premium. So premium it is. My 13 5.0 had none of these issues. It ran like a top. Just a little bummed out because I want so badly to like this truck.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 5.0 Tick

Originally Posted by rbail1 View Post
Could be.......like I said it seems to run fine. This thing makes noises like a 30 year old truck. The pinging is noticeable when I switch back in forth from regular and premium. So premium it is. My 13 5.0 had none of these issues. It ran like a top. Just a little bummed out because I want so badly to like this truck.
I think you're hearing the injectors if your listening from the front. From the side you will still hear a tick that sounds different but I wouldn't worry about. I have an 18 and it makes noises kinda like my 11 did but it runs great with plenty of power. Just drive it and enjoy it and if things start to get a lot louder you might have an issue.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
rbail1 (06-08-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else have a ticking in their 5.0?

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: