Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Auto Not Automatically Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Android Auto Not Automatically Starting

I have a 2017 5.0 Lariat with Sync but without navigation. I actually prefer having access to Google Maps or Waze over the factory navigation. My problem is not a big deal but is irritating to me. When I first get in the truck and plug in my Android phone - S7 to the USB port, most of the time the navigation component does not start. If I unplug my phone and immediately plug it in again, it does load navigation. At first I thought it was the charge cord so I have tried multiple cords including the original charge cord and it acts the same way. I have tried starting Android Auto on my phone before plugging in the cable and that does not seem to help. Once it connects to either Google Maps or Waze, it works flawlessly. If I leave the phone plugged into the truck when I shut it off, the navigation starts immediately when I restart the truck.
Anyone else out there have the same problem? Any advice on how to get rid of this issue?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:01 PM

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Android Auto settings

Just a shot in the dark. Have you tried opening the Android Auto app on your phone and going to settings/phone screen settings/Autolaunch and choosing your truck from the list of autolaunch devices?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:46 PM

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

My Samsung s6 would try to pair with my truck every time I plugged into the usb. My new MOTO z2 force won't. I unless I put it on blu-tooth . I figure it is either a setting in my phone or the new android version. I will work on it and report back. Definitely not the truck as it worked perfectly with my previous S6
Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After I plug my phone in to my truck via the USB cord, I then have to actually open my phone with the fingerprint sensor (or lock code, pattern, etc.) and as soon as I do that, it then connects to AA. It will not unless I do that.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:46 PM

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Mine can take up to 30 seconds to launch. Occasionally waze/google maps will act up and i have to close all the running apps and it will be good after.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Try your settings, as mine connects and displays android auto on the sync screen as soon as it is plugged into my phone. S7 here...
Old 09-20-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife has an android and has the Car Play in her Mercedes. She has the same problem. I've been using Car Play in Ford pick-ups for several years with an iPhone and have never had a problem. My thought is its an Android issue. Additionally in general the iPhone interface just seems more useful and intuitive. Trying to convince her to make the switch.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mptoledo
My Samsung s6 would try to pair with my truck every time I plugged into the usb. My new MOTO z2 force won't. I unless I put it on blu-tooth . I figure it is either a setting in my phone or the new android version. I will work on it and report back. Definitely not the truck as it worked perfectly with my previous S6
there is a setting in Android Auto to automatically turn on bluetooth when launching AA. Maybe that will help
Old 09-20-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2017, and I have the exact same problem. I have to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable once, in order for Android Auto to connect.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 180 Likes on 104 Posts

Mine was giving me that problem when i was using an aftermarket cable i got from Amazon. I bought a new cable directly from Google and that seemed to solve the problem. Also, have your truck as a trusted device if you use a passcode/fingerprint to open your phone.

Quick Reply: Android Auto Not Automatically Starting