Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding wireless QI phone charging to 2018 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Adding wireless QI phone charging to 2018 XLT

I'm about to start ordering a bunch of random things and trying to make it. I did a search on here and see nothing for this model truck. I really like the silverado one in the arm rest. Any information you guys want to share would be great.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 235 Likes on 147 Posts

Looks like Ford offers the Air Charge accessory: https://accessories.ford.com/charger-battery.html

Wireless Charging by JVIS

Part No: VDT4Z-19A464-A

SRP: $199.00Suggested Retail Price:View Details
Looks like it's around $150 at Tasca
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...s-vdt4z19a464a

This Wireless Charging Kit allows you to charge your smartphone without plugging it in. It fits nicely inside the console or armrest of your vehicle, allowing you to maintain a full charge while streaming audio via Bluetooth or making calls through SYNC.
  • Simply set the charging tray in the console and plug into the 12V powerpoint
  • The charger automatically shuts itself off if coins or other metals come in contact with the charging pad
  • The Charging Kit is designed specifically for each vehicle application to assure an ideal fit
Old 03-20-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

If your creative you could put one anywhere by hacking apart a charger and fitting it were ever you want, but i haven't saw anything aftermarket made to fit. I have been considering doing this and putting one in the front storage area by the usb ports.

You wouldn't have happened to be a member on snowmobilefanatics? Someone has the same username, which isn't very common.

EDIT
^^^ Never saw that option. pretty cool, but wonder how much work it would take to make it fit.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 235 Likes on 147 Posts

More info: http://www.air-charge.com/about-us/a...eless-charging

Ford In-Car Wireless Charging

Ford offers an optional wireless charging kit which allows to charge your smartphone without plugging it in. The solution fits inside the console or the armrest depending on the vehicle, allowing to maintain a full charge while streaming audio via Bluetooth or making calls through SYNC.

FORD MODELS FEATURING QI WIRELESS CHARGING

Model
Spec
Aircharge compatible
iPhone case

Super Duty
Option
Centre Console
Phablet size devices like the iPhone 8 Plus, Samsung S8 Plus
iPhone 5/5S/SE
iPhone 6/6S
iPhone 7
Fusion
Option
Centre Console
iPhone 5/5S/SE
iPhone 6/6S
iPhone 7
Edge
Option
Centre Console
iPhone 5/5S/SE
iPhone 6/6S
iPhone 7
Expedition
Standard
Centre Console
iPhone 5/5S/SE
iPhone 6/6S
iPhone 7

HOW TO USE WIRELESS CHARGING IN YOUR FORD

Simply place the device face up in the phone holder to start charging immediately. Make sure the holder is clear of all other objects otherwise the charger will automatically shut itself off.

IPHONE WIRELESS CHARGING IN YOUR FORD - COMPATIBILITY

The charger is compatible with the universal Qi standard. All Qi-enabled smartphones including the iPhone 8 and iPhone X can be charged directly from the charging mat, apart from larger phablet size devices like the iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung S8 Plus which won’t fit.

Apple iPhone models prior to the iPhone 8 will need a wireless charging accessory like the Aircharge ‘Made for iPhone’ Wireless Charging Case to enable the device to work with Qi chargers.

GET YOUR COMPATIBLE AIRCHARGE MFi WIRELESS CHARGING iPHONE CASE NOW

Specifications may vary by location. Please contact your local dealer for further information and availability.
The following users liked this post:
duck9191 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 12:19 PM

https://accessories.ford.com/electro...ery-10882.html

wonder how i missed it, covers the f-150. Still cheaper to make one.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

The challenge is also the version of Qi. Lastest phones can charge faster, but is that what Ford is selling?

I had Qi, but the new phone I have now doesn't have it, and I miss it. However, a 15 minute quick charge lasts for so many hours it's not really needed.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:46 PM

Yeah that is one of the downsides to wireless charging, there are to many "standards" between the brands.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:03 PM
Inherit my life

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

I made a magnetic Qi mount for my 98 F-150 and nexus 5 long ago. It's pretty simple to buy a Qi coil and hide it where you want but I don't suggest it. If you use GPS and keep the screen on Qi will struggle to keep up and it generates extra heat which really sucks in the summer. I haven't tried quick-Qi but I still wouldn't do it. Plugging in is so much faster and efficient which = cooler temps which = less stress on the phone.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Saw this a while back. Much more convenient than in your console.

Wireless Charger
Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

^^ That would work if I didn't have the sport package. I have a shifter there.
Originally Posted by duck9191
If your creative you could put one anywhere by hacking apart a charger and fitting it were ever you want, but i haven't saw anything aftermarket made to fit. I have been considering doing this and putting one in the front storage area by the usb ports.

You wouldn't have happened to be a member on snowmobilefanatics? Someone has the same username, which isn't very common.
Wow! Small world. You got me. One in the same. I am considering 3d scanning the inside of the truck where I want to put it and prototyping a design solution. I guess that is "creative".

Quick Reply: Adding wireless QI phone charging to 2018 XLT