Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding AAL, shorter rear block to 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Flaccid Member

Received 569 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Adding AAL, shorter rear block to 4WD

I have just ordered an Autospring add-a-leaf to increase payload and add some height. The spring should add 1.5" - 2" to the rear. However, I don't want that much additional height. So I've ordered a shorter rear block, a 1" billet aluminum block. Since the stock block is 1-3/4", I'm planning to net between 3/4" - 1-1/4" in rear height... probably on the low end of that range when things settle.

My question is this: the stock blocks each have a "finger" parallel to the axle on the inboard side of the block, like this:

The aftermarket block is intended to stack on top of the factory block, and looks like this:

I figured that since it's OK to run a 4WD with no block at all, that I can run the aftermarket block all on its own. Does anyone see a problem with that logic? Is there a crucial purpose to that shape of the OEM block that would make this plan infeasible?
Old 08-28-2017, 02:32 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

how does the add-a-leaf 'add payload'?
isn't payload more a function of frame strength than suspension?

Or do you mean just a spring to reduce squat under load?
Old 08-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike

Payload is a function of a lot of components, ultimately it's whats on the sticker no matter what you do to it.

That finger is a bump stop. The smaller ones dont have it cause basically it plans on using the axle as a bump stop if I'm not mistaken
The following users liked this post:
DeltaNu1142 (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Flaccid Member

Originally Posted by chimmike
This spring claims 950lbs in additional payload. I will run a permanent 500lbs+ or more in the bed once my topper arrives... but I didn't post to argue payload. If you prefer, yes, it will reduce rear squat under load. It will not magically update the certified numbers on the door jam sticker... but, yeah, the reason I'm using a spring and a shorter block instead of just a taller block is function over form.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Flaccid Member

Originally Posted by berty
That finger is a bump stop. The smaller ones dont have it cause basically it plans on using the axle as a bump stop if I'm not mistaken
Oh, that's the bump stop? OK, no worries then. With a stiffer leaf pack, bottoming out will be much less a concern. Thanks.