Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 4A (4 Wheel Auto Mode) - option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 06:16 AM
DR9

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 4x4 4A (4 Wheel Auto Mode) - option?

4A - 4 Wheel Automatic

At around 1:20 he mentioned higher trim models have the 4A settings? Is that not standard and not a option? He said hes only on higher trim models.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Lariat and up get them, same as before.

If you order snow plow prep on the lariat, you get the standard 2 speed transfer case (not the on demand 4auto) one.

If Ford offered it as an option on XLT models, like Chevy does on LT trucks and Dodge does on their Big Horn/SLT mid level models, I'd likely skip the lariat myself.
The following users liked this post:
DR9 (10-05-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I was like you for a long time, wishing 4A was standard across the range. In fact I considered that to be a dealbreaker for a long time; but then...... honestly I have not missed it since I have the FX4. The truck handles totally fine in 2HI even on slippery roads. When it snows I put on 4HI and everything is good.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep364
Lariat and up get them, same as before.

If you order snow plow prep on the lariat, you get the standard 2 speed transfer case (not the on demand 4auto) one.
Does it come on a Lariat with the HD Payload package?
Old 10-06-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brulaz
Does it come on a Lariat with the HD Payload package?
I would like to know the same about the Lariat.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by greg150
I was like you for a long time, wishing 4A was standard across the range. In fact I considered that to be a dealbreaker for a long time; but then...... honestly I have not missed it since I have the FX4. The truck handles totally fine in 2HI even on slippery roads. When it snows I put on 4HI and everything is good.
I used to think this until I got one with the feature. It's worth it. A dealbreaker? Possibly. That's why I chose lariat over the fx4 which to me was just a painted bumper and extra stickers. But lots of folks really like that trim....

Last edited by zx12-iowa; 10-06-2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Stupidity
Old 10-06-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

If the order guide is correct...

All XLT's in 4x4 will have the 2-speed electronic, but not automatic transfer case (Electronic Shift-On-the-Fly, ESOF), regardless of other options or packages.

All Lariats, King Ranches, and Platinums in 4x4 will have the 2-speed automatic transfer case (2-Speed Automatic 4WD), with the only exception being the snowplow prep package.

So all Lariat with any combo of FX4, Trailer Tow Package, Max Trailer Tow Package, or Heavy Duty Payload Package will still have the 2-speed automatic transfer as long as no snowplow prep package.
The following 2 users liked this post by pfbz:
brulaz (10-06-2014), DR9 (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by greg150
People have been driving for a 100 years with rear wheel drive in bad road conditions, its not like its impossible.

That said, I grew up in rural upstate ny with lots of hills and poor plowing, then i went to college in Buffalo and spent a lot of time driving back and forth.

Personally, 4 auto is a must for me now. Huge difference between going in and out of 4hi. Proper tires make even more of a difference.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
I used to think this until I got one with the feature. It's worth it. A dealbreaker? Possibly. That's why I chose lariat over the fx4 which to me was just a painted bumper and extra stickers. But lots of folks really like that trim....
A surprising amount of folks buy GM LT over LS trim level trucks for the autotrac. A lot of folks where I grew up will tell you one of the big features for them was the autotrac on their new trucks/suvs.

I for one am just glad ford started offering it in 2012... and with the brake traction control system (or whatever ford's name for it is) it actually works better than gm autotrac/dodge.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:07 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I could not have a pick up truck without four wheel, when it snows and you drive with RWD the truck is crippled. Its the perfect storm for an accident tons of power to two wheels that have nothing really holding them down. The beds natural weight is nothing compared to the power the wheels are getting. In a sedan or van its totally different, you are lower to ground and weight is better distributed.

However when I am in four wheel drive there is almost nothing the truck cant do in snow it couldn't do regularly. I can safely drive on a highway doing 50+ mph with no issue obviously stopping in snow sucks regardless of what you drive.The key is you keep your distance etc but you get the best capability possible for the situation when you have a truck in 4 wheel.

The only big benefits I see to 4A is that you get better handling in the rain and you buy time from having to switch from that mode to 4 wheel high in snow. You also can accelerate better from a stop, is it absolutely necessary no but its nice to have.

Quick Reply: 4x4 4A (4 Wheel Auto Mode) - option?