Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Question

A few days ago I picked up a 2019 Lariat 502A, fully loaded. Is the nav in Sync3 as stupid all the time as it has been for me so far? I’ve been using it in conjunction with google maps on my phone to test it out, it consistently tries to bring me very far out of my way.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:17 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TheoreticalApex
A few days ago I picked up a 2019 Lariat 502A, fully loaded. Is the nav in Sync3 as stupid all the time as it has been for me so far? I’ve been using it in conjunction with google maps on my phone to test it out, it consistently tries to bring me very far out of my way.
It knows your username and is experimentally tying to find the theoretical apex of the largest curve it can get you to drive out of your way?
It used to try and get me to drive a natural log curve the same way, see my user name e^n (e to the n).

F***ing google overlords constantly screwing with us. :unamused:
Old 04-06-2019, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by etothen
It knows your username and is experimentally tying to find the theoretical apex of the largest curve it can get you to drive out of your way?
It used to try and get me to drive a natural log curve the same way, see my user name e^n (e to the n).

F***ing google overlords constantly screwing with us. :unamused:
Sensational response 😂😂
Old 04-06-2019, 06:23 PM

Also the lane keeping system keeps telling me to keep my hands on the wheel when I’m going perfectly straight and my hands are on the wheel. Why would my hands not be on the wheel?
Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheoreticalApex
Also the lane keeping system keeps telling me to keep my hands on the wheel when I’m going perfectly straight and my hands are on the wheel. Why would my hands not be on the wheel?
I also have a 2019 Lariat 502A that excessively shows the "Keep Hands on Steering Wheel" message, even though I had both hands firmly grasping the steering while driving in the middle of the lane. Per the Ford vehicle documentation that message is supposed to appear when the vehicle has sensed no steering input for a period of time (no greater clarity if that period of time is several minutes or 30 seconds). I have seen the message a couple of times a 1/4 mile after turning onto a road, as well as in the middle of sweeping curves, so it is not just lack of steering input that causes the warning to appear. There is a button positioned between the drivers seat and the floor shifter that will turn off the lane keeping system and the excessive "Keep Hands on Steering Wheel" message - it took 2 months for me to figure out how to turn off that warning with the button.A month ago I drove 20 miles to a nearby city.. The "Keep Hands on Steering Wheel" message along with the alert tone displayed 6 times on the 20 mile drive. On the return drive I was able to video record 2 of the 3 times that the message and alert tone appeared on the dash. Stepping through the recorded video showed what appeared to cause the messages to appear on the return trip.

The below sequence shows the key frames from the first time the message appeared on the return trip. The cruise control was set to 55. The truck thought that it was close to the center line, 3 seconds later it thought that the truck was far enough from the center line, 3 seconds later it lost the position of the center line, and then a second later the "Keep Hands on Steering Wheel" message appeared.

Below shows the sequence for the third time the warning appeared on the dash, which happened when slowing for a stop sign (the second time the warning appeared was also when slowing to a stop sign). This case is similar to the above, but it appears that the truck lost the position of the center line because the truck's speed dropped below 40 miles per hour, which is the speed at which the lane keeping system deactivates itself.

It would be interesting to see if the following also applies to your truck:There is something apparently wrong with the radar that is used for controlling the pre-collision assist and adaptive cruise control on my truck - I do not know if the problems are related to the excessive "Keep Hands on Steering Wheel" messages. When the truck had roughly 200 miles on it, the adaptive cruise control shut itself off (and would not turn back on for a couple of days) after driving on the interstate for about 20 miles at 70 MPH. An alert appeared on the dash indicating that the adaptive cruise control sensor was blocked. After driving another 350 miles on the interstate, I noticed that the truck was then displaying warnings that the pre-collision assist was not available because the sensor was blocked. A month later I was on the interstate again, and experienced a very strange hard downshift, where the truck apparently simultaneously automatically applied the brakes when I tried to speed up while passing a semi. That automatic braking event disengaged the adaptive cruise control and sounded a warning chime This strange very hard downshift happened again on the interstate a few weeks later - again when I attempted to speed up while passing a semi. I determined that the problem must have been the result of the pre-collision assist system incorrectly detecting a potential collision, so I disabled that feature. Since disabling the feature, I have driven roughly 1000 miles, repeatedly tried speeding up when passing a semi, and have not had a repeat of the hard downshift and automatic braking. However, even with that pre-collision assist system disabled, the adaptive cruise control still automatically disabled itself for 20 minutes when the truck had 3450 miles on the odometer.

Time to put away this glitchy truck until the snow starts falling again.

The following users liked this post:
BadBoy4fun_wa (04-08-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:12 PM

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Also have a 2019 502a with tech pkg and turned the lane keep assist annoyance off about 5 miles into picking it up and never turned it on again. Probably for this reason I've never seen these messages
Old 06-17-2019, 04:57 PM

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

I really like the lane keepnig assist, but I hate the messages. I just wiggle the wheel a bit when I see the message pop up, but it's truly annoying.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I just crossed over 1000 miles on my 2019, but haven't had any messages about wheel input or issues with lane keep or adaptive cruise. I drove it for 7 hours yesterday on a trip to Indiana and back, not one message despite a lot of time in cruise on long, straight, flat, highway. Odd that some see messages so often. I know 1k miles isn't a lot, but the messages above make it seem like I should have seen it by now.

Quick Reply: 2019 Question