2018 Key Programming - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.

2018 Key Programming

Old 02-12-2019, 02:39 PM

Default 2018 Key Programming

I've been trying to program a 3rd key for my 2018 truck using the method listed in the manual when you have two original programmed keys, but it doesn't seem to want to accept the 3rd new key.

The truck originally came with two of the 3-Button Flip Remote Head Keys (Its not the "push to start" type totally wireless fob, you still have to insert/turn a mechanical key to start it) but I wanted a lower profile basic key without the integrated unlock/lock/panic remote to carry as a backup. I ordered a more basic key with the same blade and a matching PATS chip type ("Tex 4D-63 80-Bit") and had it cut by a locksmith. It cut fine and will turn the door and ignition locks, but it refuses to program to be able to start the truck. The key blank I ordered is a genuine Ford part, but not designed specifically for an F-150.

Will a newer truck not accept a non-remote key or something even if the type of PATS chip matches? Any other suggestions besides take it to a dealer and pay a lot of money to try to have it programmed?
Old 02-12-2019, 02:41 PM
ford dealer parts guy

Originally Posted by dabomb4097 View Post
I've been trying to program a 3rd key for my 2018 truck using the method listed in the manual when you have two original programmed keys, but it doesn't seem to want to accept the 3rd new key.

The truck originally came with two of the 3-Button Flip Remote Head Keys (Its not the "push to start" type totally wireless fob, you still have to insert/turn a mechanical key to start it) but I wanted a lower profile basic key without the integrated unlock/lock/panic remote to carry as a backup. I ordered a more basic key with the same blade and a matching PATS chip type ("Tex 4D-63 80-Bit") and had it cut by a locksmith. It cut fine and will turn the door and ignition locks, but it refuses to program to be able to start the truck. The key blank I ordered is a genuine Ford part, but not designed specifically for an F-150.

Will a newer truck not accept a non-remote key or something even if the type of PATS chip matches? Any other suggestions besides take it to a dealer and pay a lot of money to try to have it programmed?
is it the right frequency? some PATS keys have different frequency. Do you have the Key number that you ordered?
Old 02-12-2019, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
Do you have the Key number that you ordered?
The "switchblade" remote key that came with the truck is a Strattec 592366; and the spare key I ordered is a Strattec 5924628.

I think the "frequency" difference on some keys only refers to the integrated unlock/lock remote transmitter, not the immobilizer chip. The spare key I ordered without an integrated remote control does not list a frequency.

Last edited by dabomb4097; 02-12-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Utility Guy

Check around the internet for programming steps for additional keys as the instructions in my manual and the instructions on the Ford website did not work for my 2018 truck. I found a process on a Raptor forum that worked for my truck. Another process on a different F150 forum did not work for my truck.

Sorry for the relatively "poor" advice but have faith and keep searching for a process on the web.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:52 PM

The "switchblade" remote key that came with the truck is a Strattec 592366; and the spare key I ordered is a Strattec 5924628.
The thing I noticed in the descriptions, your original key is listed as having On Board Programming, versus the spare key does not.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:53 PM
ford dealer parts guy

I think the "frequency" difference on some keys only refers to the integrated unlock/lock remote transmitter, not the immobilizer chip. The spare key I ordered without an integrated remote control does not list a frequency.
wrong key, for a fiesta only. That is why it won't program

you need a 5923293

Last edited by djfllmn; 02-12-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:01 PM

Despite the manual, user programming of a third key is disabled on the 2018. Sadly, the only option to have the dealer program it. I've been down all the paths, and Ford simply locked the user out for 2018.
The Following User Says Thank You to OBXgeek For This Useful Post:
rbird2 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by OBXgeek View Post
Despite the manual, user programming of a third key is disabled on the 2018. Sadly, the only option to have the dealer program it. I've been down all the paths, and Ford simply locked the user out for 2018.
That's not impressive is it!
I see one place on ebay selling the key and will send it out to you pre cut.
What is the ford dealer going to say when I show up with that and tell him to program it?
Pretty sure last time I asked the dealer about this it was a minimum $150 charge in Canada.
Parts and labour.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:31 PM

I had a local locksmith cut and program mine cost $75
Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 PM
Super user

Originally Posted by OBXgeek View Post
^^^THIS^^^ it's has been like that on many 16's and 17's as well, another fun fact, even though I have IDS that I pay for, I cannot delete keys after they have been programmed, the dealer has to. I went round and round with Ford, I can turn on user programming, but I can't delete the keys from the vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Key Programming

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: