Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 heated and cooled seats.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:14 PM

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 2018 heated and cooled seats.

So how do the 2018 seats work?

I have read other years used the fan for both heat and cooled. This does not seem to be the case with 2018 as there is NO fan running with heat and it is almost instant heat. So I assume it's a coil heat.

Cooling
I was playing with the cooled seats today and like previous years found the back of the seat was not all that cool. (butt was cold, especially around the edges) I can hear the fan running, and here is the weird part, the air is being SUCKED into the seat, not being blow out at you. (can verify this with a napkin) So the air is being sucked in and blown out the bottom of the seat. Seems backwards to me.

Is there a fan in the seat and one in the back or just 1? Anyone have a parts breakdown that might show how the seats work?
Old 11-29-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

No fan for heat in the 2017s.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts

How can the seat and seat back be sucking air instead of blowing cold air? With your butt and back covering them there would be no way for the air to be sucked in and your butt and back would not get cooled. On my 18 lariat my butt and back get way to cold to keep the setting on high for cooling and my butt and back get way to hot to keep the heat setting on high. The heated and cooled seats are fantastic on mine.
The following users liked this post:
ranken (04-26-2022)
Old 11-29-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 877 Likes on 561 Posts

2015 through 2017 use a device called a TED. This unit reverses polarity to create either cooling or heating. When the current flows one direction for cooling the unit removes heat from the air passing through it and pushes the cooler air through the seat and exhausts the heat it removed( in theory). In heating mode the current is reversed and the warmer air is pushed through the seat and the cooler air transfers to the exhaust. It is not dependent on the vehicles HVAC system. One of the biggest draw backs to this design other than Ford's awful design is that in order to have comfort from an A/C system removing humidity from the air is just as important as removing heat. This system is designed to cool ambient temperature up to 14 degrees but it removes NO humidity. Now because of Fords poor design not only is the cooling effect sub par you also get that pissed your pants wet feeling because there is no humidity removal. The new seats with the "ventilated" design do rely on the HVAC system and because they are moving CONDITIONED air from the HVAC system you do get humidity removal as well as cooling(heat removal). I have not had a new seat apart but all reports I've seen have indicated they work much better.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by oldguy1946
How can the seat and seat back be sucking air instead of blowing cold air? With your butt and back covering them there would be no way for the air to be sucked in and your butt and back would not get cooled. On my 18 lariat my butt and back get way to cold to keep the setting on high for cooling and my butt and back get way to hot to keep the heat setting on high. The heated and cooled seats are fantastic on mine.
Take a napkin and turn the cooled seat on, stick it to the back and see if it sticks or blows off. Let me know what happens.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by robbieg
2015 through 2017 use a device called a TED. This unit reverses polarity to create either cooling or heating. When the current flows one direction for cooling the unit removes heat from the air passing through it and pushes the cooler air through the seat and exhausts the heat it removed( in theory). In heating mode the current is reversed and the warmer air is pushed through the seat and the cooler air transfers to the exhaust. It is not dependent on the vehicles HVAC system. One of the biggest draw backs to this design other than Ford's awful design is that in order to have comfort from an A/C system removing humidity from the air is just as important as removing heat. This system is designed to cool ambient temperature up to 14 degrees but it removes NO humidity. Now because of Fords poor design not only is the cooling effect sub par you also get that pissed your pants wet feeling because there is no humidity removal. The new seats with the "ventilated" design do rely on the HVAC system and because they are moving CONDITIONED air from the HVAC system you do get humidity removal as well as cooling(heat removal). I have not had a new seat apart but all reports I've seen have indicated they work much better.
Everything I have read, says the hvac and seats have nothing to do with each other.
The air is sucked into the seat and blown out the small fan under the seat.