Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 F150...100% auto stop/start

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 05:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2018 F150...100% auto stop/start

I've been really digging the new design of the 2018 trucks for when they come out, so much so I'm seriously considering upgrading(or at least was) but then I saw a video of the overview and they said that 100%of the new trucks are going to have the automatic start/stop feature. I have not had any experience with that but just by the sound of it I'm not a big fan and completely sold on my truck starting and stopping the engine all the time. I know it's way early yet but any thoughts to them creating or having a way to bypass that function. Thanks guys
Old 03-16-2017, 05:32 AM

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkpullin
I've been really digging the new design of the 2018 trucks for when they come out, so much so I'm seriously considering upgrading(or at least was) but then I saw a video of the overview and they said that 100%of the new trucks are going to have the automatic start/stop feature. I have not had any experience with that but just by the sound of it I'm not a big fan and completely sold on my truck starting and stopping the engine all the time. I know it's way early yet but any thoughts to them creating or having a way to bypass that function. Thanks guys
Yes, there is a jumper mod thread, the search function is easy and will show you topics you're looking for.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/disab...p-good-332431/

Last edited by E. Manuel; 03-16-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Also check the 2015+ FORScan sticky. I believe AirborneApe found a way to defeat it via FORScan.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

And a button you can push after starting the vehicle to override the feature.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default In general, it doesn't bother me

Disclaimer -- I've had the truck for week, but..

I have a 2017 XLT with the 3.5 which has the auto stop/start feature. About 40% of my daily drive is surface streets with stoplights, and several that have 2-3 minute cycle times where there's some traffic build-up. For those, it's perfect. It won't activate if the engine is cold or it can't maintain a certain temp inside.

Where I've found it a bit annoying are roundabouts (they are nuts for them where I work (and live to some degree)), and in cases where traffic is creeping/stopping/creeping to get up to a light. I've just learned to anticipate when that's happening and hit the deactivate button. I personally don't find that to be a hassle, but I can understand why some might. You can also play games with the amount of pressure you apply to the brakes and it won't activate.

My first tank (I filled up early to hand calculate) netted 19.8mpg (21.2 per computer, lol) and that's a mix of 40% city < 50 mph travel and highway with top speed just under 70 for the other 60%. I do believe it helps save fuel.

Just my $0.02.
The following 3 users liked this post by agtcovert:
Napalm (11-13-2017), overlandFX4 (03-16-2017), shelbyDog (12-12-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I haven't had an F-150 with it, but we borrowed an Escape for a weekend that had it, and it was totally fine. The engine starts up nearly instantly, it's not like cranking an engine during first start of the day. They had it calibrated to where it engaged the engine before you had fully let off the brake (which is somewhat replicated when you see others in the thread mention getting good with brake pressure to prevent it) so in reality it has nearly no impact on your ability to take off because by the time your foot is fully off the brake the engine is back on.

In my experience with it, any issue with the system is entirely in the head's of the people that get all worked up about it just because it's something different. There are definitely scenarios where I can see it being less ideal, even if it's just because it adds another layer of something to account for, like the roundabout example. Times when you have to stop and need to be able to go at a moments notice. But traffic lights definitely aren't that, and those are probably the biggest cause of the engine shutting off in most daily drives.

Also thankfully there are very smart and resourceful people on this site and as was mentioned there are a number of simple deactivation methods. So there's really no way to lose on going for a 2018 for this reason.
The following 3 users liked this post by vulnox:
BCMIF150 (03-17-2017), klen (03-16-2017), VectorZ (12-15-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work for BMW and they have this feature. However, BMW has a button right over the ignition button where you can turn off auto start/stop (so it idles and works like normal). Just to clarify, does Ford have this as well??? I am against the auto start/stop because i believe it has to eventually take a toll on the starter and ignition components. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the input. Also I apologize for starting a already discussed topic I did a quick search but I really didn't know the exact caliber on what I was looking being I've never had the feature. But I'm glad to hear there are ways to de-activate it if needed be. I also could be a little one sided too with some new technology. I've had quite a few diesel trucks in my day so I'm sitting here thinking the start/stop of an engine can't be good, longevity wise that is but we've also made great advances in technology and so forth and I applaud Ford there the ones that usually take the first step in trying different things. I definetly will be looking into the 2018 trucks!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Outtacontrol58
I work for BMW and they have this feature. However, BMW has a button right over the ignition button where you can turn off auto start/stop (so it idles and works like normal). Just to clarify, does Ford have this as well??? I am against the auto start/stop because i believe it has to eventually take a toll on the starter and ignition components. Thanks!
Yea my wife's m2 has that and I believe you don't have to keep hitting it, ours once pushed stays off even when car is sitting for couple days.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Drove a Ford with this feature and hated it. Not only is it annoying but this is one more way to keep these vehicles in and out of the shop. The starter will burn up really quick with this feature. Screw Obama and his regs.
The following users liked this post:
MotorsportsAustin (06-26-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 F150...100% auto stop/start