Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 XLT Sport 5.0 Supercrew No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 02:12 PM
Shayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 XLT Sport 5.0 Supercrew No Start

Hey Gang!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I used this site at length to research both F150 purchases I made in 2012 and just a week ago in 2017, the members here have been a great help in these purchases.

I love our new truck, not my intention to rant…my 2017 F150 XLT Sport Supercrew 302A wasn’t yet 48 hours old with 250 km’s on the odo when it left here on the back of a flatbed truck. You never want to be that guy that drops $50,000 on a truck to watch it get towed 3 days after bringing it home.

I’m hoping that perhaps one of the members here has seen this issue and might be able to help me.

Truck came home December 27th, the morning of December 28th it wouldn’t start with the remote or with the Ford app. Seemed like lots of power to the electronics and headlights, but when I turned the key I heard a slight click (not from engine bay) and wouldn’t turn over. Battery light on the dash stayed on, and after a couple tries I got a message that said “Charging System Service”, to which I acknowledged with the OK button on the steering wheel. Called the dealer, they had me look up the starter fuse (number 59, 30A), remove it and reseat it, which I did. Other fuses and relays in the panel did not seem to be seated very well, so I reseated those as well. When I tried again, this time the truck fired without hesitation (we are in a brutal cold snap here, with -35 F temps), which indicated to me it was not a battery issue. Anyways, onward and upward.

On December 29th, took the truck out to fuel it up and for a drive, then again in the evening out to dinner with my fiancé, it was fine.

On the morning of December 30th, same issue, would not start, with the same message on the dash screen (Charging System Service). This time I took out the starter fuse, and at the suggestion of the dealer, gently spread the two terminals to provide a better contact for the fuse. This time it did not work. I called the dealer and told them to get this thing out of my driveway, which they did.

I recognize these things happen…but I am sick to my stomach over this. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks folks!

Shayne

Last edited by Spanky_48; 01-01-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an identical issue with my 2016 when it was brand new. Dealer went through the all the electronics related to starting and didn't find any issues. They cleaned and re-seated all connections and said to let them know if it happened again. I did notice it only happened on very cold days, and since spring was coming, we hadn't had any really cold days until recently, but all has been well. The only difference is that mine never left me stranded...it would eventually turn over and start with full battery power after trying a few times. I suspect something was loose, and the bad connection eventually caused a little heat to build up, improving the connection to a point where the truck would start. Just a hunch, though.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs3350
I had an identical issue with my 2016 when it was brand new. Dealer went through the all the electronics related to starting and didn't find any issues. They cleaned and re-seated all connections and said to let them know if it happened again. I did notice it only happened on very cold days, and since spring was coming, we hadn't had any really cold days until recently, but all has been well. The only difference is that mine never left me stranded...it would eventually turn over and start with full battery power after trying a few times. I suspect something was loose, and the bad connection eventually caused a little heat to build up, improving the connection to a point where the truck would start. Just a hunch, though.
This ^^^. Mine was fine after it was warmed up but would either not start or turn off over bumps in the road when cold. Dealer replaced battery, main power harness then eventually fuse box harness before it was fixed. Took a month of screwing around with the dealer but it's been fine since.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2017 XLT Sport 5.0 Supercrew No Start

Hi all. New to the forum and have been reading a lot. I am impressed with how so many are kind enough to help and support.

I recently bought a 2017 XLT Super Crew 5.0 V8 4x4 Sport Special Edition and have a "NO POWER" problem as well. The issue is after a certain time and vehicle is LOCKED if I try to UNLOCK it its totally dead. I checked battery, jump start, you name it I might have tried the standard things. I some how decided to start pressing buttons and when I pressed the DRIVER DOOR UNLOCK button the power came on and and the cluster displayed a message saying if I didn't put in the key the alarm would sound. I have figured out that if I either put in the key or hit the fob unlock everything is back to normal.

Where I am now:
I took the truck to the dealer and they have since replaced the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER (in which the replaced it with the wrong one) but the original problem described above is still there. I will add the before and after cluster pictures which dont make sense why the dealer did that. They tried to makeup a story about the truck originally being sold in Canada. The truck was built in Dearborn, MI (USA)

The first picture and what the dealer put in. The second picture is the original cluster.

Any feedback, suggestions, idea, would greatly be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails 2017 XLT Sport 5.0 Supercrew No Start-20180212_073928.jpg   2017 XLT Sport 5.0 Supercrew No Start-cluster.jpg  

Last edited by doimec; 02-13-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 1,141 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by doimec
Hi all. New to the forum and have been reading a lot. I am impressed with how so many are kind enough to help and support.

I recently bought a 2017 XLT Super Crew 5.0 V8 4x4 Sport Special Edition and have a "NO POWER" problem as well. The issue is after a certain time and vehicle is LOCKED if I try to UNLOCK it its totally dead. I checked battery, jump start, you name it I might have tried the standard things. I some how decided to start pressing buttons and when I pressed the DRIVER DOOR UNLOCK button the power came on and and the cluster displayed a message saying if I didn't put in the key the alarm would sound. I have figured out that if I either put in the key or hit the fob unlock everything is back to normal.

Where I am now:
I took the truck to the dealer and they have since replaced the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER (in which the replaced it with the wrong one) but the original problem described above is still there. I will add the before and after cluster pictures which dont make sense why the dealer did that. They tried to makeup a story about the truck originally being sold in Canada. The truck was built in Dearborn, MI (USA)

The first picture and what the dealer put in. The second picture is the original cluster.

Any feedback, suggestions, idea, would greatly be appreciated.
The dealer put in a cluster for models with the 10 speed transmission. The gear indicator for your truck with the 6 speed should be PRNDM21. Show them the IC in the owner's manual for your truck doesn't match the one they put it.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RL1990
The dealer put in a cluster for models with the 10 speed transmission. The gear indicator for your truck with the 6 speed should be PRNDM21. Show them the IC in the owner's manual for your truck doesn't match the one they put it.
Thanks RL1990. I did and showed them the pictures I posted. The thing that got me was the excuses they tried to use and expect for one to just take it. I'm still waiting for them to resolve the original NO POWER issue thou. Will post update once all resolved. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 2017 XLT Sport 5.0 Supercrew No Start