Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 lariet tailgate problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 2017 lariat tailgate problem

About a month ago I bought my fourth supercrew, second one with the ecoboost .The technology has come a long way since 2001,2005 and 2012. When closing my tailgate it makes a pop like sound when its about 3/4 closed. Took it to the dealer and they have no idea whats wrong (supposedly).They said they are going to research the problem and get back to me. I made it very clear that the problem must be rectified.
Anyone ever have this problem or heard of it in the newer models? Any suggestions on how i should proceed?

Last edited by Stolinights; 10-31-2017 at 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Either a tailgate damper hanging up, or there's a metal protrusion on bottom right side of tail gate that goes into a notch on back of bed that might be catching every time you close your tailgate.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When I picked up my brand new 2015 F150 the rear tailgate was not correctly put on the vehicle from the manufacturer. The left top side of the tailgate was not flush with the rest of the body and stuck out ~2 inches and was not able to hit the striker without slamming the tailgate hard. The tailgate popped very loud when you try to open it like there was stress on the locking mechanism. Went to the dealer multiple times and the kept saying they fixed it but it was still not flush with the rest of the body and still pops loudly when you open it. The dealer said this was common in some of the vehicles their getting (which was BS), and they could not adjust it anymore after spending 1 hour on it each time I brought it in. They also thought it might be a bent tailgate. After no results from the dealer I contacted Ford Customer service (which I highly suggest) and after more trips to the dealer it was determined that the left side of the bed was installed too far back away from the tailgate and the only remedy was to actually take off the existing bedside and install and paint a brand new bedside. It was a huge pain the in *** getting this fixed. Hope you do not have the same issue.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stolinights
About a month ago I bought my fourth supercrew, second one with the ecoboost .The technology has come a long way since 2001,2005 and 2012. When closing my tailgate it makes a pop like sound when its about 3/4 closed. Took it to the dealer and they have no idea whats wrong (supposedly).They said they are going to research the problem and get back to me. I made it very clear that the problem must be rectified.
Anyone ever have this problem or heard of it in the newer models? Any suggestions on how i should proceed?
Mine does the same thing.. 2017 XLT Crew cab. Didn’t do it before it went to Linex for spraying. Going to take the tailgate off and see if I can figure it out. It sounds like it’s coming from bottom right corner of the tailgate.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 373 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Navybean
Mine does the same thing.. 2017 XLT Crew cab. Didn’t do it before it went to Linex for spraying. Going to take the tailgate off and see if I can figure it out. It sounds like it’s coming from bottom right corner of the tailgate.
If you have the factory tailgate step, it's probably the torsion bar inside the tailgate. Doubtful that it's going to be considered a problem, more characteristic. But hopefully it works out!
Old 11-22-2017, 02:06 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by texwake
When I picked up my brand new 2015 F150 the rear tailgate was not correctly put on the vehicle from the manufacturer. The left top side of the tailgate was not flush with the rest of the body and stuck out ~2 inches and was not able to hit the striker without slamming the tailgate hard. The tailgate popped very loud when you try to open it like there was stress on the locking mechanism. Went to the dealer multiple times and the kept saying they fixed it but it was still not flush with the rest of the body and still pops loudly when you open it. The dealer said this was common in some of the vehicles their getting (which was BS), and they could not adjust it anymore after spending 1 hour on it each time I brought it in. They also thought it might be a bent tailgate. After no results from the dealer I contacted Ford Customer service (which I highly suggest) and after more trips to the dealer it was determined that the left side of the bed was installed too far back away from the tailgate and the only remedy was to actually take off the existing bedside and install and paint a brand new bedside. It was a huge pain the in *** getting this fixed. Hope you do not have the same issue.
I'm bringing my 2018 in for the same deal. Doesn't close flush on one side unless you slam it. Then when you open it the handle feels like its going to break off almost when opening it and clunks when opened. Hope it's adjustable.

Plus I have a rear door that is almost hitting the bottom painted molding where it shuts. Not a door alignment issue either but the painted molding piece on the bottom rear of the cab is most likely crooked because the rest of the door gap looks fairly consistent. So they'd probably have to repaint this if it's adjusted.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2018 has been doing this. I added the tailgate damper but don’t recall if it made the pop noise before I added it. Only does it when it’s about 3 inches from closing and only if I fully drop the tailgate and then go to reclose it. The top left corner of the tailgate is not completly flush with the bed. It is off by about 1/4” and it has been that way since I got the truck. The right side is pretty flush. The tailgate operates fine it’s just a little annoying. The metal tab on the bottom left side of the tailgate has some paint rubbed off to one side so it has to do something with that but I can’t figure it out.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

There is a torsion rod running through the tailgate. On this torsion rod there are two rubber grommets that prevent the bar from touching the bottom of the tailgate. If they are in the wrong position you will hear the rod smacking the bottom of the tailgate right before it shuts. These gromets need to be slid further towards the outside edges of the rod. About 12” from the end of the rod on both sides. You need to remove the tailgate, loosen the two small bolts that clamp the rod in place on the passenger side and then slide the rod out of the tailgate. Reposition the grommets about 12 inches from either end of the torsion rod. Reassemble and you’re popping sound will disappear. It’s a pain in the butt but that is the true fix. I speak from experience.

On both ends of the tailgate there is an access hole where you can see through the entire tailgate. You can see the rod and the grommets. If you can rig something up to grab these grommets and help slide them down the rod you won’t need to disassemble anything. Lube up the rod, maybe try a coat hanger and bring lots of patience.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NiceF150

There is a torsion rod running through the tailgate. On this torsion rod there are two rubber grommets that prevent the bar from touching the bottom of the tailgate. If they are in the wrong position you will hear the rod smacking the bottom of the tailgate right before it shuts. These gromets need to be slid further towards the outside edges of the rod. About 12” from the end of the rod on both sides. You need to remove the tailgate, loosen the two small bolts that clamp the rod in place on the passenger side and then slide the rod out of the tailgate. Reposition the grommets about 12 inches from either end of the torsion rod. Reassemble and you’re popping sound will disappear. It’s a pain in the butt but that is the true fix. I speak from experience.

On both ends of the tailgate there is an access hole where you can see through the entire tailgate. You can see the rod and the grommets. If you can rig something up to grab these grommets and help slide them down the rod you won’t need to disassemble anything. Lube up the rod, maybe try a coat hanger and bring lots of patience.
This sounds promising. I'm guessing the torsion rod runs from one hinge to the other? Any pictures to help show the access holes you're talking about?
Old 03-09-2019, 10:47 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Default 2018 tailgate popping

just had mine in the dealer the other day for the 2nd time for exactly this problem. Sounds like a gun going off as you raise the tailgate. First time they just tried cleaning and re-lubing the bushing. Nope, slightly less loud but still there. They ended up replacing bushings and the torsion bar I believe it was called. All good now.

Last edited by tuckr2; 03-11-2019 at 08:29 AM.