Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F150 5.0 - Metal in the Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Default 2016 F150 5.0 - Metal in the Oil Filter

Took our 2016 XLT 5.0 screw with just under 5000KM's (about 3100 miles) on it to the dealer yesterday to investigate a noise I was hearing. The noise is a "bobbeling" or perhaps knocking I hear just as you start moving in gear. The best way to isolate/replicate it is to hold the break peddle down and lightly step on the gas.

I am also feeling vibration in the gas peddle and floor, particularly at shift points.

The tech and I went for a ride and he successfully heard the noise I described and felt the vibrations.

I left the truck with the tech and came back a few hours later to find out they had found metal in the oil filter. I am not an engine guru, but do have a basic understanding of how an engine operates. I can't think of a single case where metal in the filter could be ok (please correct me if I am wrong).

The truck will go back in this week and they are dropping the oil pan to see what surprise they can find in it.

Needless to say I am beyond disappointed. One of the main reason we purchased new was to not have to worry about repairs for several years. Yes Ford will cover the repair cost, but not my time in dealing with this. Not to mention the possibility of having major engine repairs on a brand new truck.

Maybe (hopefully) I am getting over excited about a un-diagnosed issue. Time will hopefully tell what the cause is, and I really hope Ford steps up to resolve the issue in a manor I am happy with.

Has anyone else experiences anything like this with their 5.0?
Old 01-28-2017, 11:11 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Depends on the type (ferrous vs non-ferrous) & qty of metal.

What tool was used to cut open the filter - did they use an actual filter cutter? Hopefully they didn't use a hacksaw.

If you ever cut an oil filter open from an engine that just came off the dyno after being rebuilt, you would be surprised at how much metal is in that filter.

Keep in mind the purpose of the filter is to catch particles in the oil.

Is this the original filter? How much metal?

Last edited by tmcolegr; 01-28-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:32 AM

It is the original filter.

I don't know the quantity or type of metal that was found. To be honest once they said metal in the filter and that they need to drop the pan I didn't hear much else.

Thank you @tmcolegr for these points. I will be sure to ask this week when the truck goes back in.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by mountaintruck

I don't know the quantity or type of metal that was found. To be honest once they said metal in the filter and that they need to drop the pan I didn't hear much else.

Thank you @tmcolegr for these points. I will be sure to ask this week when the truck goes back in.

I have seen many engines condemned due to metal in the filter only to be disassembled and nothing found to be wrong. Hope that's not the case with your engine. If they do disassemble the engine, hopefully they will find something abnormal, not just normal break in debris.

First rule of troubleshooting: "Is there a problem"
Old 01-28-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mountaintruck

Very interesting.

Keep us up to date on their findings.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

As mentioned earlier,more than likely just normal break-in shavings that are sometimes found after first oil change.Most times perfectly normal,after all,that is what a oil filter is supposed to do,catch any wear/contamination.
I'd venture to say this is normal and your symptoms are unrelated to some shavings in the oil filter.
Also keep in mind,these dealership technicians (goes for any manufactures dealer) are not engineers,nor are they even engine builders.Even they should know some shavings found at first oil change most times are normal.
Ofcourse unless the filter is HEAVILY contaminated with metal shavings.
Good luck with your findings.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 373 Likes on 153 Posts

Don't want to put a damper on your day but that sounds like a rod bearing. I cut the filters on both the wife's Explorer and my F150 and they were clean at 5000 miles. Ford will fix it, keep on them until your satisfied. Autoworker
Old 01-28-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Agree with others, probably normal metal shavings from a brand new engine. Same with the metal shavings on the magnet in the transmission pan. All perfectly normal.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:49 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

And get a notebook and start documenting everything, just in case this goes the wrong way. Documentation always helps.

How much metal did they find in the filter? A few tiny flecks is one thing... chunks, quite another.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:31 AM

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have not seen the pictures of the filter yet, but will request to see them. The service advisor said they are small, no big chunks.

Talking to the service advisor yesterday, when the truck was originally in they tried to isolate the noise by shutting down cylinders one by one. When cylinder 5 is shut down the noise goes away.

The truck goes in Tuesday to hopefully get to the bottom of the issue. I'll update here when I have more info.

It's ironic that our other vehicle, which is 13 years old, still runs like a charm and the one with less than 5000km may have major engine issues.
The following users liked this post:
m91196 (01-29-2017)