Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Blind Spot/Cross Traffic System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Blind Spot/Cross Traffic System Fault

Hi everyone. A week ago my truck stopped working while I was sitting at a red light (truck was still running but was not showing I was in gear and could not move) The cross traffic system fault and blind spot system fault come on most days now (I’m driving my husbands truck to take kids everywhere and all that, he’s using mine to go to and from work) He got stranded after stopping to pick up dinner and the truck wouldn’t turn back on. Can’t get it in anywhere for another week but do have a family member loaning us a vehicle so we don’t make anything worse. Any ideas? My husband fixed some botched wiring yesterday hoping it was the cause but everything came on again on his way to work this morning.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2022, 03:35 PM

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Often with BLIS/CTA, if the taillamps leak water, the electrical connector to the Side Object Detection (BLIS) Module gets water in it. This then effects the MS-CAN bus which usually causes al sorts of issues with all the other modules which use the MS-CAN bus for communications. Are there other things not working?

The following modules use the MS-CAN bus:
  • RTM (Radio Transceiver Module)
  • TRM (Trailer Tow Module)
  • DDM (Driver Door Module)
  • HSWM (Heated Steering Wheel Module)
  • GPSM (Global Positioning System Module)
  • FCIM (Front Controls Interface Module)
  • PDM (Passenger Door Module)
  • DSM (Driver Seat Module)
  • SCME (Front Seat Climate Control Module)
  • PRB (Power Running Board Module)
  • SODL (Side Object Detection Module Left)
  • SODR (Side Object Detection Module Right)
A scan for DTCs using FORScan or a diagnostic scan tool should be performed to further diagnosis.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:42 PM

Did you ever get a resolution to this problem? I'm having the same issue. I had it as the Ford dealer for 6 weeks and they couldn't find anything. It ran fine for the past 2 weeks then failed twice in 2 days. Today I had to get towed home!
Old 12-12-2022, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Esmith4640
Did you ever get a resolution to this problem? I'm having the same issue. I had it as the Ford dealer for 6 weeks and they couldn't find anything. It ran fine for the past 2 weeks then failed twice in 2 days. Today I had to get towed home!
It was actually an issue in the transmission. $1,500 later and I’ll hopefully be getting it back this week.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:00 PM

Good luck. My dash lights up with the Blindspot System Fault and Cross Traffic System Fault. It's happened about 10 times now. I lose power. About 5 of the 10 times, I did hear a loud clunking sound as if the transmission had a serious issue. It was about 15 - 30 seconds after that that the dash lights up. Mine has also had the gear indicator strobing randomly between PRNDLM21 and it acts like it's in neutral.

2015 F150 Lariat w/ 3.5 Ecoboost

Last edited by Esmith4640; 12-12-2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:21 PM

Good luck. My dash lights up with the Blindspot System Fault and Cross Traffic System Fault. It's happened about 10 times now. I lose power. About 5 of the 10 times, I did hear a loud clunking sound as if the transmission had a serious issue. It was about 15 - 30 seconds after that that the dash lights up. Mine has also had the gear indicator strobing randomly between PRNDLM21 and it acts like it's in neutral.
Sounds like a transmission Output Shaft Speed sensor issue. This has been a fairly common issue with the 6-speed transmission. The OSS is housed in the transmission leadframe so this would need to be replaced if that indeed is the issue. Further diagnostics would need to be preformed to be sure. Leadframes have been in short supply lately.

Some truck information would be helpful.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:54 PM

Is there a black & white way to tell if the transmission Output Shaft Speed sensor has failed or is failing? That is, is there a way to test it? Without having some clear indication that something failed and it has been repaired or replace, I've lost confidence in this truck. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:07 PM

Is there a black & white way to tell if the transmission Output Shaft Speed sensor has failed or is failing? That is, is there a way to test it? Without having some clear indication that something failed and it has been repaired or replace, I've lost confidence in this truck. Thanks in advance for your help.
A DTC scan with FORScan or a diagnostic scan tool should help in diagnostics. P0720, P0721, and 0722 are all related to the OSS sensor. There are other DTCs for other sensors as well. These DTCs, if that is the issue, should be in memory even if they are not currently active.
The following users liked this post:
Home2#7 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 09:30 AM

Just had basically exact same issue. It was the Output Sensor module located in the leadframe. Seems these pieces by themselves were not readily available, however the entire assy (that contains this module/leadframe that was faulty). They ended up ordering this module and honored the same price they quoted of $878 (parts and labor) as they mentioned the entire module was not significantly more that just the faulty piece. Had the truck back in 4 days. Have only driven it home so don't have any good confidence yet but they said would be warrantied for 2 yrs unlimited mileage from this dealer.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 52merc
Often with BLIS/CTA, if the taillamps leak water, the electrical connector to the Side Object Detection (BLIS) Module gets water in it. This then effects the MS-CAN bus which usually causes al sorts of issues with all the other modules which use the MS-CAN bus for communications. Are there other things not working?

The following modules use the MS-CAN bus:
  • RTM (Radio Transceiver Module)
  • TRM (Trailer Tow Module)
  • DDM (Driver Door Module)
  • HSWM (Heated Steering Wheel Module)
  • GPSM (Global Positioning System Module)
  • FCIM (Front Controls Interface Module)
  • PDM (Passenger Door Module)
  • DSM (Driver Seat Module)
  • SCME (Front Seat Climate Control Module)
  • PRB (Power Running Board Module)
  • SODL (Side Object Detection Module Left)
  • SODR (Side Object Detection Module Right)
A scan for DTCs using FORScan or a diagnostic scan tool should be performed to further diagnosis.
I just had this issue on a snowy/wet road day. I was driving and got the cross traffic fault, the blind spot fault, a tire pressure sensor fault, an airbag light and lost control of the climate control. This feels like it fits what you are saying. I called my local Ford dealer and they are over a month out for diagnosis and repair. Is it a difficult fix? What is the next step?
Thanks

Quick Reply: 2016 Blind Spot/Cross Traffic System Fault