Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 3.5 shutters kicks out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 3.5 shutters kicks out of gear

I'm really stumped with this one and not quite sure where to go from here?

I have a 2016 3.5 EcoBoost that was running great until yesterday. I was going about 40 miles an hour and was decelerating to make a turn when the truck popped out of gear and the truck started to shutter like it was trying to decide which gear to shift into. I had no accelerator response and had the following dash lights illuminated. Service advance track, see manual, and hill start assist not available.

I posted off to the side of the road and even when I put the truck in park it was still shuttering. I turn the truck off and turned it back on and everything was reset and it ran like a champ.

I had the exact same thing happen later in the day hoping that it was just a fluke. The exact same dash lights illuminated with the same shutter. Again I was able to reset it by turning the ignition off and then restarting the truck.

I stopped in at the local Ford dealership and the only codes that they pulled are the following. U0401, U3013 16.

I never got a check engine light and I'm shocked that there are no drivetrain or engine codes?

Very positive that it's not a misfire as one of the resets it runs like a champ and I just replaced the spark plugs and ignition packs less than 10,000 mi ago.

My fear is I take it to the dealership and without any codes I'm going to spend a lot of money for them not to find anything?

Any thoughts on what this might be or what is causing the truck to pop out of gear and then the shutter? Torque converter confusion? The first time it happened was when the truck was downshifting I'm guessing between 4th and 3rd gear?
Just wondering if this has happened to anyone out there and want to fix was or any suggestions as to where to begin my troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM

Received 128 Likes on 103 Posts

Issues involving tranny? "the truck popped out of gear and the truck started to shutter like it was trying to decide which gear to shift into" Code U0401 - From manual - "U0401:86 Invalid Data Received from ECM/PCM A: Signal Invalid This continuous memory DTC sets when the SODL or SODR receives invalid network data from the PCM. RETRIEVE and REPAIR all non-network Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in the other modules on the network. If no PCM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) exist, DIAGNOSE the observable symptom." The PCM sends two inputs for the the SODL or SODR - 1) vehicle speed - which is used to turn Cross Traffic off at 10mph and (2) transmission gear selected for both Cross Traffic and BLIS. Is the issue possibly involving transmission output shaft speed/gear selection signal being the problem? Why no tranny codes?

Last edited by Home2#7; 04-14-2023 at 10:40 AM. Reason: add
Old 04-14-2023, 01:22 PM

Received 2,296 Likes on 1,507 Posts

U3013:16 - Control Module Input Voltage "C": Circuit Voltage Below Threshold
Description:
A continuous DTC that sets in the BCM if the BCM detects lower than expected battery voltage on the voltage supply input circuit.

Possible Causes:
  • Wiring, terminals or connectors
  • Charging system concern
  • Battery concern
  • BJB
  • BCM
U0401 - Invalid Data Received from ECM/PCM "A"
This DTC can be issued from several different modules so it is necessary to know which module initiated the DTC before any analysis can be made.
A U0401 is common with a throttle body problem. Your other drivability and IPC error messages are also consistent with a throttle body issue.
Old 04-14-2023, 05:05 PM

Besides checking connectors and wire harnesses any other thoughts? Have been driving the truck today without any issues but I'm just trying to figure out what causes the transmission to hang up or not stay in gear? Is this a safe mode response because of the intermittent or loss of a signal? I'm not entirely certain that if I take it to the dealership they're going to find anything? Just trying to figure out what I can check on my own? Open to suggestions. Thanks for the responses!
Old 04-28-2024, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muskyman
Besides checking connectors and wire harnesses any other thoughts? Have been driving the truck today without any issues but I'm just trying to figure out what causes the transmission to hang up or not stay in gear? Is this a safe mode response because of the intermittent or loss of a signal? I'm not entirely certain that if I take it to the dealership they're going to find anything? Just trying to figure out what I can check on my own? Open to suggestions. Thanks for the responses!
I think transmission kicking out is part of a safety shutdown. I’m having same codes this weekend and from what I can tell it’s either a problem from a wiring harness/connector or the abs sensor or throttle body is dirty. I’ve seen posts that the bad abs sensor can be caused by bad hub. So far I haven’t found any issues. Cleared the codes and they haven’t come back yet
Old 04-28-2024, 02:12 PM

Received 1,197 Likes on 824 Posts

To point something out that is often not understood.
Fault >notifications descriptions< caused by body code fault detections are NOT engine codes, so no check engine light will come on if the engine is not directly involved as the root cause of the malfunction.
Sometimes both are involved in >reaction< and used in service analysis if engine codes exist with Body codes in a total list.
The operating program has monitor performance detection with separate B, C, P, and U codes assigned for these separate system functions.
Without Code guidance, repair would be almost impossible from the outside world.
Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
RaptorYFM (04-28-2024)

Quick Reply: 2016 3.5 shutters kicks out of gear