Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 F150 Rust Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default 2015 F150 Rust Issues

There have been a small number of threads/discussions on rust issues with the 2015 F150. Some of which show accelerated rusting of the steel frame and steel drivetrain components.
  • Ford has electro-coated the aluminum panels to electrically isolate dissimilar metals.
  • They used adhesives and primer /painted steel rivets to isolate physically.
Is there the potential for accelerated rusting of steel components in the drivetrain and frame due to some form of electrochemical reaction taking place causing the steel to act as an anode to the electro-coated aluminum?

For the record, I’m seriously considering a 2015, really like their efforts to drop weight and improve efficiency etc. but have had some bad experiences with rust and corrosion in the past – hoping to learn from the knowledgeable folks on here.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Most of the rust issues I've seen have simply been due to bare/uncoated steel.
Very few reports of any kind of dissimilar metal corrosion and even fewer(if any?) of proven dissimilar metal corrosion.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:10 AM

Good to know. I have seen a couple threads on corrosion (fender) and rust (frame, steel mounting hardware) taking place with the new F150, but these are probably isolated cases.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 326 Likes on 154 Posts

I work for a company the manufactures the items that Ford, GM, Mazda, Harley Davison, John Deere etc use. Ford has Ecoated (Electrodeposition) and tested this on Aluminum for years. It is no different. Truck will be fine. Most items that are metal on a vehicle and is exposed to elements is Ecoated. This also applies to washing machines, dryers, etc.

Last edited by GOBLUEJD; 09-03-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ottawavalleylad
Good to know. I have seen a couple threads on corrosion (fender) and rust (frame, steel mounting hardware) taking place with the new F150, but these are probably isolated cases.
Surface rust is common and nothing to worry about.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 367 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by GOBLUEJD
Surface rust is common and nothing to worry about.
True but it looks like Sh$%# and should not be on a brand new truck.

I got the dealer to take care of it.
The following users liked this post:
toddstang (08-14-2017)
Old 09-03-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by kendive
True but it looks like Sh$%# and should not be on a brand new truck.

I got the dealer to take care of it.
It's on all cars. Take train axels fresh out of the factory. Sit them outside for some time and you'll have surface rust. Happens to your brakes anytime it rains.

Looks like crap for sure, but it will be back.
Ricktwuhk (09-10-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

It's on all cars. Take train axels fresh out of the factory. Sit them outside for some time and you'll have surface rust. Happens to your brakes anytime it rains.

I understand the rust on heavy/thick steel like axles, but what about the steel transmission pans and their tiny screw bolts that hold the pan on? This is the first vehicle I've ever owned that these things rusted badly, right away, causing the screw bolt heads to flake off.

Mine looks like the other poster on here with severe rust issues.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:53 AM

Over the weekend I was walking the lot looking at the 2015 F150's and I crawled under 5 of them randomly and took a quick look. These trucks were built over the summer and delivered the end of august and early September, which means they never had winter salt spray due to delivery etc. Guess what - All 5 had rust! Common rusted areas:

1. Bolts going into aluminum housings and driveshaft knuckle? at end of DS.
  2. Drain plugs going into aluminum housings already showing rust on threads etc.
  3. Rear axle has surface rust. Like it wasn't painted in some areas or the paint prematurely faded or it was too light an application.
  4. Ball joints in control arms were oddly dusted with surface rust.
  5. Skids plate(s) had caked on white stuff, looked like corrosion.
The frames however all looked good. Now the rust was only surface rust, but it did look premature. I currently have a 2010, it was not that badly corroded when I picked it up new, and it still looks ALOT better than these trucks. The only thing I can think off is that they are using cheaper steel fasteners in the aluminum transfer case, etc. and maybe they are not applying as much paint or using a lower quality paint to axle housings etc.

Solution will be a can of black rust paint for the axle and steel bits and fluid film or another high end coating to prevent any further rust on the steel bolts going into the aluminum housings.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Have you experienced this with the new 15s? If not then you may not realize that your comment isn't relative. These are poorly coated axels and other parts that are coming right from the factory completely covered in rust.

Of course everything eventually oxidizes but not only is it no way to present a new product but shows a lack of quality control of their suppliers and obviously should be corrected.
kendive (09-10-2015)

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 Rust Issues