2.7l Real World MPG Post - Page 3 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.

2.7l Real World MPG Post

 
Old 08-30-2015, 08:58 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 527
Thanked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fend2ride2 View Post
Ok so I've only driven my truck for 1200 miles so far.. but I've seen some incredible mpgs... like 26-27.. I drove 60 miles today.. average was at 29mpg when I got home... no lie... I think when it's 70-75 degrees outside I when I see the biggest numbers.. today was obviously one of those days..

2.7l scab xl sport 3.55

Yeah I bet the screw and 4 wheel drive is costing me a few mpg's. Every one that has the shorter cab and 2x4 seems to be doing a fair amount better. Gotta pay to play.
2.7Ecoboost is offline  
Old 08-30-2015, 09:03 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Fend2ride2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 59
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2.7Ecoboost View Post
Yeah I bet the screw and 4 wheel drive is costing me a few mpg's. Every one that has the shorter cab and 2x4 seems to be doing a fair amount better. Gotta pay to play.
Yeah mine is 4x4 also
Fend2ride2 is offline  
Old 08-30-2015, 09:26 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 527
Thanked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fend2ride2 View Post
Yeah mine is 4x4 also
That is impressive with 4X.
2.7Ecoboost is offline  
Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 PM
  #24  
Member
 
Fend2ride2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 59
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2.7Ecoboost View Post
That is impressive with 4X.
Any idea why my trips with outside temps in the 70s can get me an average of 3-4 mpg's higher?

Some days I cant get above 22 then other days my average mpg's real-time meter will stay pegged at the 30 mpg mark with not much effort at all.
Fend2ride2 is offline  
Old 08-30-2015, 09:45 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 527
Thanked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fend2ride2 View Post
Any idea why my trips with outside temps in the 70s can get me an average of 3-4 mpg's higher?

Some days I cant get above 22 then other days my average mpg's real-time meter will stay pegged at the 30 mpg mark with not much effort at all.
My guess is colder air is condenser, meaning you truck has a little more power and has to work a little less hard. Every notice on real hot days your car or truck seems down on power and on cold days it has some extra pep. You actually have more power when colder. 70* might be the sweet spot also extreme cold can have the same affect as extremely hot.
2.7Ecoboost is offline  
Old 08-31-2015, 12:13 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Reading, MA
Posts: 107
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Several posters mentioned Engine Not Broken In Yet.
Is that really an issue with modern engines anymore?
Do we expect maybe 1-2 mpg more after the first 5000 miles or so?
And what exactly "breaks in"? Are piston rings sealing better or something?
The Wizard is offline  
Old 08-31-2015, 12:19 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
ptmccain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
Several posters mentioned Engine Not Broken In Yet.
Is that really an issue with modern engines anymore?
Do we expect maybe 1-2 mpg more after the first 5000 miles or so?
And what exactly "breaks in"? Are piston rings sealing better or something?
The manual says not to bother looking at your mileage until the engine has 1,000 miles on it.

FWIW.
ptmccain is offline  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:38 PM
  #28  
Member
 
Hobbs62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 84
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default

2.7l w/ 3.31 gears 2wd, 18 mpg at the pump doing math. Mix of hwy and neighborhood driving. Short round trips each day to work. Owned it a month, and feel the ford computed mpg is false advertising crap.
Hobbs62 is offline  
Old 09-01-2015, 03:06 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 527
Thanked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbs62 View Post
2.7l w/ 3.31 gears 2wd, 18 mpg at the pump doing math. Mix of hwy and neighborhood driving. Short round trips each day to work. Owned it a month, and feel the ford computed mpg is false advertising crap.
I would have to agree with you there. I also have an ultraguage and I'm getting about 18.5 mixed driving on this tank. The ultraguage seems to be accurate to what I'm actually getting. I'm at 2100 miles about to do my first oil change with Mobile 1 synthetic. I will see if that makes a difference.
2.7Ecoboost is offline  
Old 09-01-2015, 04:23 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Posts: 114
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
Several posters mentioned Engine Not Broken In Yet.
Is that really an issue with modern engines anymore?
Do we expect maybe 1-2 mpg more after the first 5000 miles or so?
And what exactly "breaks in"? Are piston rings sealing better or something?
Modern engines usually run the motor rich for X number of miles while it 'learns' your driving habits then after it reaches the right cycle (miles, starts, etc.) lets the computer do its own thing based on your driving.
NC_F150 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.7l Real World MPG Post


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: