Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 F150 HD tow/payload package

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 16 F150 HD tow/payload package

Does any one know if you can order the HD tow/payload package with the bigger rear end and not get the stupid trailer back up assist? I do not want that at all. I see where is would come in handy for some people but not for me. I am off shore so I cant exactly call or drive to a ford dealership and ask them. If anyone knows please let me know thanks.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

All the 2016s I've seen have the PTBA as a "no charge" option listed on the window sticker.

You can just ignore it, right? It's one of the few features that would've pushed me to get a 2016, if I didn't find my truck (a 2015) sitting on the lot.

-John
Old 12-29-2015, 12:04 PM

Ya I could ignore it but I really dont want the big **** on my dash. I mean if I absolutely had to have it on the truck. I would just unplug it and install a new dash piece with the cut out. I complete understand why some people would want it and it is a cool thing. I just really dont need or want it in my truck. And I just tried building one on fords website and with the Heavy payload package you can not add anything else. I tried adding a sun roof and it ask to remove the heavy payload. Then I tried the nav and sync 3 it still ask to remove it. What the heck is up with that? I have never ordered a new truck but I hope that I can add all that and have it not be a issue.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I have to agree with you on the added cost of an option that is not necessary at all.

All anyone needs to do, is put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. If you want the trailer to go right when backing up, steer the wheel to the right from the bottom of the wheel. Same with left. Works every time, and you don't have to think about it. Been using this trick for 20 years.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

If you want the heavy payload package you have to get a stripped down truck. Since the accessories take away from available payload they don't want you to have any, therefore your options are very limited.

In my opinion, the trailer back up assist is just a waste of money. If you can't back a truck don't drive one. LOL

Also no HD payload packages were made in '15 and they are scheduled for late delivery for the '16's.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:23 PM

I really just want the heavier axle and springs. I pull kinda heavy. Usually around 8-10k which is ok in my truck but long term I feel the bigger axle would hold up better. But if I have to give up a bunch of stuff and have stuff I dont want installed I might have to go back to a 3/4 ton. And I dont want to do that. I am extremely happy with my F150.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bronko1988
I really just want the heavier axle and springs. I pull kinda heavy. Usually around 8-10k which is ok in my truck but long term I feel the bigger axle would hold up better. But if I have to give up a bunch of stuff and have stuff I dont want installed I might have to go back to a 3/4 ton. And I dont want to do that. I am extremely happy with my F150.
The 3.5 ecoboost got a heavier axle with job 2 back in 2011 when they first started building them. It's a 9.75 axle with bigger bearings and the pinion shaft is twice as thick as before. The eco had so much torque that they were breaking them. The 5.0 has the same axle, not sure about the 2.7 or other V6 they may have 8.8" axles. In the past the heavy duty payload would throw in 7 lug axle shafts and hd wheels and tires. Now the wheels are only 5 lug with the hd payload package, if you get the 18" tires you get the same tires as what comes with the fX4 package (18" Goodyear Wrangler AT's C- rated). So as far as I can tell all that the hd payload package gives you is the 3.73 axle, heavier wheels and heavier springs.

I opted for the max tow option instead of hd payload so that I could get the options that I wanted. I got the FX4 package to get the LT tires and will add airbags in place of the hd springs that the hd pay package comes with. With the truck being lighter than previous years I suspect the 3.55 will do fine. If I happen to crack a rim someday I will get heavier ones. I have had three Super Duties and will have my third ecoboost in a few days. For what I tow (10-12k ) an ecoboost is the better choice. It rides better and maintenance is cheaper. Fuel economy was a little better on my diesels but with DEF, additives, two fuel filters, expensive oil changes, etc the ecoboosts are cheaper to run.
The following users liked this post:
Bill- (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
I opted for the max tow option instead of hd payload so that I could get the options that I wanted. I got the FX4 package to get the LT tires and will add airbags in place of the hd springs that the hd pay package comes with. With the truck being lighter than previous years I suspect the 3.55 will do fine. If I happen to crack a rim someday I will get heavier ones. I have had three Super Duties and will have my third ecoboost in a few days. For what I tow (10-12k ) an ecoboost is the better choice. It rides better and maintenance is cheaper. Fuel economy was a little better on my diesels but with DEF, additives, two fuel filters, expensive oil changes, etc the ecoboosts are cheaper to run.
Interesting ... I've got a 2015 Lariat Luxury 3.5EB Screw w/5.5' bed, FX4 package, tech package, 20" chrome wheels, etc.... and the Max Tow package. My truck came equipped with Goodyear Wrangler Adventure tires w/kevlar... are these the same ones?

Or is it because I got the 20" wheels that I didn't get LT tires? The Goodyears are a P-rated tire, IIRC, not LT.

-John
Old 12-29-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by DraKhen99
Interesting ... I've got a 2015 Lariat Luxury 3.5EB Screw w/5.5' bed, FX4 package, tech package, 20" chrome wheels, etc.... and the Max Tow package. My truck came equipped with Goodyear Wrangler Adventure tires w/kevlar... are these the same ones?

Or is it because I got the 20" wheels that I didn't get LT tires? The Goodyears are a P-rated tire, IIRC, not LT.

-John
You have to get the FX4 package option, if you want to order the 18" LT load range C tires but since you got 20's they don't give you a load range C 20" tire option
Old 12-29-2015, 02:15 PM

Our trucks are 6 lug not 5 lug. And I am pretty sure that I dont have the 9.75 axle on my truck. I have the max tow with the 5.0 and 3.55 EL rear end. From my research the only way that axle comes is 3.73 and only in the HD package.

Quick Reply: 16 F150 HD tow/payload package