Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 speed transmission whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10 speed transmission whine

Hey guys,
I came across some info on this in other threads, but felt it was best to start my own. I just wanted to get some feedback from you 10 speed owners concerning whine noise from the transmission. How many of you have it, and how has it been fixed (or attempted to be).

Im actually a Camaro ZL1 owner. Just picked up my 2018 about a month ago, and it's had a noticeable whine since day one. I originally just assumed it was supercharger noise, as it isn't completely out of character for this car. But I have come to realize that it's from the transmission. It's noticeable at idle or just off idle at lower speeds. I found a video posted by member RailroadJack, and mine is nearly identical in pitch.

Anyway, I just figured I'd post here as you guys are experiencing the same issue -- and with the F150 being a much higher volume vehicle than the ZL1, maybe the answer would come here first. I really don't want to have my transmission ripped out and torn apart (especially if it's a normal characteristic), but if there is a known issue and fix I'd probably go for it. It definitely bothers me knowing it's a transmission noise.

Hopefully we can get some good info and a solution one way or another. Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I know you wanted to start your own thread but this one has the same information your're asking about.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2017-...se-poll-395584
Old 10-16-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 373 Likes on 248 Posts

I don't have a 10-speed (2017 5.0 model), but I do recall that the Ford 4R70W (4-speed auto) that was used in a bazillion cars, including police and taxi, ALWAYS had a 1st gear wine. Disappeared after shifting to 2nd gear. It was just a characteristic of the tranny. Hopefully that's what we're dealing with here, too.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 712 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWM.D.
Hey guys,
I came across some info on this in other threads, but felt it was best to start my own. I just wanted to get some feedback from you 10 speed owners concerning whine noise from the transmission. How many of you have it, and how has it been fixed (or attempted to be).

Im actually a Camaro ZL1 owner. Just picked up my 2018 about a month ago, and it's had a noticeable whine since day one. I originally just assumed it was supercharger noise, as it isn't completely out of character for this car. But I have come to realize that it's from the transmission. It's noticeable at idle or just off idle at lower speeds. I found a video posted by member RailroadJack, and mine is nearly identical in pitch.

Anyway, I just figured I'd post here as you guys are experiencing the same issue -- and with the F150 being a much higher volume vehicle than the ZL1, maybe the answer would come here first. I really don't want to have my transmission ripped out and torn apart (especially if it's a normal characteristic), but if there is a known issue and fix I'd probably go for it. It definitely bothers me knowing it's a transmission noise.

You mean Turbos--the F150's do not have supercharger!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 AM
30 states home/biz solar

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by icecoldak
You mean Turbos--the F150's do not have supercharger!

No he means supercharger. He’s talking about his ZL1 Camaro
Old 10-16-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 712 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSolarWizard
No he means supercharger. He’s talking about his ZL1 Camaro
Woops--guess I better look closer lol.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
I know you wanted to start your own thread but this one has the same information your're asking about.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2017-...se-poll-395584
Thanks. I did see that, but it's more of a poll than a thread concerning the problem and cure. I also found a 300+ post thread concerning A10 issues, but it's not dedicated to the whine noise.

I know there's at least a few guys here working with dealerships to try and resolve this. Hopefully they will chime in.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:13 AM

Received 781 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWM.D.
Hey guys,

I have a 2017 Super Crew 4x4 with the 3.5EB and 10 speed automatic almost 2,000 miles on it.I do hear a slight whine in reverse backing up but doesn't seem like it does it in the forward gears.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a 2018 V8 with the 10 speed transmission and I do have the whining noise.
Mine has 2K miles on it.
The noise happens when the torque converter opens and it seems get worst when the transmission is hot (normal temp.).
I noticed too that the shifting when the transmission is in normal temp. is not as smooth as when it is cold.
There is no light on, just the noise.... I think is the transmission pump but I'll take it to the dealer and see what they say...
Old 10-17-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by RACarvalho
I have a 2018 V8 with the 10 speed transmission and I do have the whining noise.
Mine has 2K miles on it.
The noise happens when the torque converter opens and it seems get worst when the transmission is hot (normal temp.).
I noticed too that the shifting when the transmission is in normal temp. is not as smooth as when it is cold.
There is no light on, just the noise.... I think is the transmission pump but I'll take it to the dealer and see what they say...
I'll be interested to see what they tell you.

Quick Reply: 10 speed transmission whine