Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Expel PPF

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:45 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Default Expel PPF

I have some custom ovals coming that "mbullock" has done for me. With the quality he's known for, I plan on using Expel on the front one to help prevent stone chips. Anyone install this stuff themselves. I got 2 pieces off their website, 6"x1', for just a bit over $10, but I'm as amatuer as it gets in applying this stuff.
Need recommendations on extra materials needed, hints/tips, etc.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,695 Posts

I would ask him, first just to make sure compatibility or necessity!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Village Sociopath

Yep yep, did that. Just don't do anything for 30 days. I'll be leaving the front one off until then.
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (07-05-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:33 AM
Semper Fi

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by johnday
Yep yep, did that. Just don't do anything for 30 days. I'll be leaving the front one off until then.
Did you ever complete the Xpel application on your ovals? Just curious how it came out. I know Xpel has some good info on their site as well as a DIY page. I've had it applied to my car and when I about to add fog lights I took them in and watched the guy apply Xpel to the lens. Pretty simple on such a small part. For a large part/panel I would leave it to the professionals though.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Village Sociopath

Forgot about this thread, but yes, I did apply the Xpel. It's a little touchy getting it to lay into the seams on the badge, but it turned out not too bad. A little heat helps, I'll try to remember to get a photo later.
I'm with you on the larger panels at this point, especially ones with complex angles/curves. I'm still fighting with wrapping my interior door pulls.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Semper Fi

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by johnday
Forgot about this thread, but yes, I did apply the Xpel. It's a little touchy getting it to lay into the seams on the badge, but it turned out not too bad. A little heat helps, I'll try to remember to get a photo later.
I'm with you on the larger panels at this point, especially ones with complex angles/curves. I'm still fighting with wrapping my interior door pulls.
Hmm, never thought about doing the interior. Would be interested in seeing what all you do. I'm planning on having the exterior done in a couple weeks. Full hood, front fenders, pillars, roof, door handle pockets, etc then cover it with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. I will then apply 2 coats of EXO to finish it up. Will do the wheels as well with EXO to help keep the brake dust from coating them.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Village Sociopath

I wish I'd done all that when I got this truck last Oct. 8500 miles, and in my mind, I've got a lot of chips on the front.
The wrapping I'm doing, or trying to do, is some carbon fiber wrap on the door pulls, and a couple other areas, like I did on the "B" pillars, not using PPF on those. Those compound angles are killing me.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:38 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I applied Suntek to the front, which is not much different than any of the other brands that are 8 mil thick. The hood wasn't too bad, but damn if the wind outside the garage kicked up small debris that got under the film.

The parts that are a ROyal PiTa are the bumper and the part just above the bumper, those came out looking like crap and will probably have them redone by a pro in a year or so, for now, get me through the winter without any chipping is all I am looking for. I followed that up with 2 coats of CQuartz UK and a topping of GLISS. Truck sparkles. Love it!

Quick Reply: Expel PPF