Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Starts and dies, won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts and dies, won't idle

99 F150 4.6 2wd

It has been very cold and there is some snow in the ground today.

It will start just fine, but won't stay running. If I give it gas it will stay running. I gave it gas for long enough for it to get warm and when I let off the gas it would die. I was able to drive it in the driveway by using the gas/brake method, but would die when I let off the gas.

The truck has had problems starting in the cold lately, but I would start it, it would die, and I would start it again and everything was fine after that. I should have dealt with this earlier, but I am a senior in college and have been really busy. Now it's finals week and here I am!!

I have heard on here about cleaning the idle air controller and changing the gasket. Is there anything else that I should check?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

If it's running without any issues as long as your foot is on the pedal - points strongly to the Idle Air Control system. Cleaning the control solenoid and ports is a good start, don't forget to inspect the electrical connections.

Beyond that, would recommend to pull the computer codes to see if anything of interest pops up.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:33 PM

My buddy has the exact same truck as you and had the exact same problem, as long as he was on the gas it would stay on, well he let it sit for like 3 weeks because he didnt have any money. finally he called a tow truck driver to come down and take it to a shop, well the tow truck driver asked him if he could try something really fast, he started it and stomped on the gas and red lined it for about 10 seconds it made a loud boom and a mushroom cloud came out of the exhaust and it ran beautiful after that. What happened is his fuel filter clogged up with a bunch of **** and the guy just sucked it through and it cleared out, maybe you should try it.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:29 PM

I fixed the problem today. I replaced the idle air valve. I tried cleaning it and it didn't work so I replaced it. I found the part for $50 at the last parts store I checked in and it was the best price in town.

This is an EASY fix, it took me less than 10 minutes to do everything.

The guy at the parts store told me if that didn't solve the problem to try cleaning out the EGR, but luckily this fixed the problem.

I appreciate you guys on here. Good Karma for you today!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Glad to hear you got things worked out, and thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Starts and dies, won't idle