Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

5.4 banging and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 banging and stalling

When cold runs great. Once up to temp I get a very loud banging from bank 1 and unless I keep some throttle on it it will stall. I changed the cam phaser but it still does it. If I rev it up it will go away for a bit but as soon as I put it back in gear and try to go it starts banging again. Not a tick, banging. Swapped solinoids and cam sensors with the other bank but no change. These engines are the biggest POS ever. Anyone know what is going on?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome aboard, another happy F150 owner just slamming instead of explaining. Why bank 1? What codes are being thrown? What do cam phasers do? Anyone can change parts and then just bad mouth and cry. We around here just happen to like our trucks, let us try to help out!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
Welcome aboard, another happy F150 owner just slamming instead of explaining. Why bank 1? What codes are being thrown? What do cam phasers do? Anyone can change parts and then just bad mouth and cry. We around here just happen to like our trucks, let us try to help out!

Sorry just a bit ticked off at this truck. Its an 05 and all I do is spend money on it.
Codes were "cam phaser bank 1 over-retarded" "misfires 3 sometimes 4" "Intermitant cam position sensor bank 1"
The banging is from that bank.

No codes now that I changed the phaser but same problem as before.

"what do cam phasers do"
Well they are what controls the position on the cam in relations to the crank in the VCT system. This is done using oil pressure inside chambers in the phaser. The phaser is the part that actually moves the cam and seams to be the consensis from Ford that these "go bad". They have lots of TSB that identify the problems with this system. I am not throwing parts at a blind problem. This is what Ford tells their "techs" to do.

The control of this system is done using a cam sensor and oil control solinoid that controls oil to one side of the chambers or the other through cycling of the valve. The position is dictated by the ECU using various engine sensors. There are 4 major changes to the position and that is , at idle, part throttle, heavy load, and WOT. The system is also inactive until the oil is at 71 degrees. This is when the banging starts.

See why I went down this road yet.

But now that I have changed the "known OEM bad parts" and through major troubleshooting I have come to a stand still. The banging is horrible and there is nothing left of this system to change except for the valve body which is nothing more then holes drilled in the cam and some aluminum. I am missing something and was hoping that "Ford guys" might have some insight into this well known problem with these engines.

Do I have a bad tensioner (I doubt it because this is a banging sound not a chain slap) Also the engine will hardly run.

Some sort of oil pressure problem?? The other bank is fine......
Old 05-11-2009, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the info about the phasers, anytime I see issues bout the 4.6 and 5.4 engine, I go to this one member for help. I will contact him for assistance. He has been off site recently so probably hasn't seen your thread. If you are lucky he will answer with PICS and other good info. I'm glad and also sorry that I hit a nerve, at least now I know you are sincere and not just a whiney.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:04 PM

I would check base oil pressure you need at least 25 psi of oil pressure for the
vct system to work (I am a tech at a ford store and their is no known oem problem
with phasers) I have seen a couple of them brake along with injectors, coils, plugs,etc. also what condition is your truck in all the ones ive seen break are due
to lack of oil changed(phasers that is)
Old 05-11-2009, 01:07 PM

Also pull oil pan and inspect oil pump pick up tube for debris I have seen plugged pick up tubes starve the vct system for oil. good luck hope i helped a little
Old 05-11-2009, 01:45 PM
First time Ford owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash319
Sorry just a bit ticked off at this truck. Its an 05 and all I do is spend money on it.
Codes were "cam phaser bank 1 over-retarded" "misfires 3 sometimes 4" "Intermitant cam position sensor bank 1"
The banging is from that bank.

No codes now that I changed the phaser but same problem as before.

"what do cam phasers do"
Well they are what controls the position on the cam in relations to the crank in the VCT system. This is done using oil pressure inside chambers in the phaser. The phaser is the part that actually moves the cam and seams to be the consensis from Ford that these "go bad". They have lots of TSB that identify the problems with this system. I am not throwing parts at a blind problem. This is what Ford tells their "techs" to do.

The control of this system is done using a cam sensor and oil control solinoid that controls oil to one side of the chambers or the other through cycling of the valve. The position is dictated by the ECU using various engine sensors. There are 4 major changes to the position and that is , at idle, part throttle, heavy load, and WOT. The system is also inactive until the oil is at 71 degrees. This is when the banging starts.

See why I went down this road yet.

But now that I have changed the "known OEM bad parts" and through major troubleshooting I have come to a stand still. The banging is horrible and there is nothing left of this system to change except for the valve body which is nothing more then holes drilled in the cam and some aluminum. I am missing something and was hoping that "Ford guys" might have some insight into this well known problem with these engines.

Do I have a bad tensioner (I doubt it because this is a banging sound not a chain slap) Also the engine will hardly run.

Some sort of oil pressure problem?? The other bank is fine......
Same problem here, but usually only when I'm pulling the trailer. Added an aftermarket oil pressure gauge to monitor the pressure when it's doing what you describe. Keep us posted if you find a solution, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:55 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a bad cam follower. A cam follower [looks like a roller rocker arm]is between the valve stem, cam, and lash adjuster. A follower has a roller [with needle bearings] in it's center that rides on the cam lobe.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by torkum
Sounds like a bad cam follower. A cam follower [looks like a roller rocker arm]is between the valve stem, cam, and lash adjuster. A follower has a roller [with needle bearings] in it's center that rides on the cam lobe.
Why would it run perfect when cold though? It really feels like an oil pressure thing but I don't get why only the one bank?

Thorn: There is a TSB 06-19-8 about the phasers and lash adjusters that need to get changed that cause knocking and startup rattle. The oil is changed on this truck regularly and was done not long before this problem started.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 AM

Could there be an oil leakage, blockage or what ever going to that head? Would be kinda cool if a test port was provided to take a reading at each head near this phaser thingy.

Quick Reply: 5.4 banging and stalling