Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

More Engine Issues...Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Engine Issues...Need advice.

I recently bought a 2005 Ford F150 FX4 with the 5.4 3v motor with 161,000 miles. Some brief history on the truck. The truck was a single owner commercial truck used for a business in northern New York with service records and no accidents. About a month ago, it started ticking then knocking like a diesel then progressed to what sounded like an exhaust leak off the manifold. I got under the hood and saw that I had two blown ignition coils and a blown spark plug from the cylinder head. I checked the threads on the blown plug and head and everything appeared fine so I figured the plug had just come loose. So due to mileage, I replaced all eight plugs with Motorcraft plugs and all eight coils with Accel coils. As I tore into the job, I noticed none of the coils had the 7mm bolt securing the coils to the valve cover...not one single coil was bolted in. So after I sprayed some penetrating lube on the plugs, I ran to my local Ford dealership to get the 7mm bolts. When pulling the plugs out, All plugs on the passenger side were loose no effort at all to get them out. The driver side was to be expected with these engines, but was done successful with no broken plugs. Due to the plugs being loose, I torqued all plugs to 35ft-lbs and ignition coils tight enough with out cracking them. After doing this, the truck ran great! I also replaced the air filter with a K&N filter while doing all this. Then a week later, my truck starts to shutter and knock and acts like it wants to stall out but when I put it in drive, I can accelerate out of it and it drives normal. It only seems to do this when I park on any kind of inclined surface. And to add to the problems, I went to leave work the other morning and my battery was dead. I jumped it off and drove 40 miles on the interstate back home. Went to start it up again this morning and it was dead. The check engine light just came on, and haven't had time to run the code. I don't know what's causing the shuttering, knocking and wanting to stall out. Could be a vacuum line, injectors, fuel filter? Maybe the K&N filter is having an adverse effect on the truck? I'm going to have my alternator tested for the battery dying. I don't know if these issues are separate or connected? is one issue exacerbating the other? what do yall think? I'm debating if it's worth fixing these small issues or just dropping a rebuilt engine in. I love the truck to much despite these issues to sell it. Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:34 PM

Finally got around to testing the battery and alternator, turns out I had two dead cells so I replaced the battery and all is good on that end. I scanned the code and came up with p0022 which after research seems to be the VCT solenoid. I bought the parts and plan on putting it in tomorrow. It also brought up a p2004 (intake manifold runner control stuck open bank 1) I'm going to try cleaning the throttle body, replacing the fuel filter and running some seafoam through the injectors. I will update after tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:06 PM

So last post truck was throwing P0022 and P2004 DTC's with a rough idle and feeling as though is was going to stall. I replaced both VCT solenoids as wells as replaced the fuel filter, put a can of sea foam through the gas tank, pulled the throttle body off and cleaned it really well. Once it was put back together I went ahead and did the relearn process for the truck and did a fuel injection cleaning through the brake booster line. I gotta tell you, the truck runs great! It has a substanial power gain enough to have a noticeable feel. Best of all truck has no CEL!
Old 10-03-2016, 06:49 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Nice

Quick Reply: More Engine Issues...Need advice.