Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

Different 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different 5.4

I originally added this to an old thread, but thought I would move this over to a new one.

So I have been considering a used F150 to be a 2nd vehicle, primarily for towing a boat that I don't own yet (~5500 pounds or more) a couple of times a month and hauling firewood a few times a year. Also 50 mile round trip to work once week just to burn gas and turn the oil over. I have been looking at 5.4l to get the increased towing capacity. Also, only trucks with the towing package. Two that I have my eye on are an 01 that a buddy has with 162k. He had a spark plug on one cylinder early on, but that is it. Most of the miles were put on early (up to about 5 years ago) and it has become a driveway sitter/boat hauler as of late. He wants ~$5k (it's in Delaware). The other is an 06 with 165k that is a daily driver that has a number of after market upgrades (i can list them if it helps). Haven't seen that one yet, but was figuring out if I wanted to go look. It's in Jersey. He wants $8.5 due to the upgrades. Both say they have meticulous records.

I have only owned foreign vehicles and love my Ridgeline. Yeah, I know most folks don't consider it a "real" truck, but it does everything that I need to date, but won't haul the next boat and I'd like a bigger bed for wood. I plan on getting a small daily driver hatchback to get better gas mileage and haul the dogs around. The cash I have for vehicles would come from selling the Ridgeline and splitting into two vehicles, so it's not unlimited.

Now I am wondering if this move is a good idea. Sounds like there are many issues with the 5.4l that could pop at any time. Obviously, neither of the truck I am looking at would have any kind of warranty, so that pop would be on me. Ugh!

I guess I could just forget the F150, keep the Ridgeline and find a smaller boat. That option isn't so great either. Maybe I'll look at used Tundras.

Do you think I should punt on the older 150's?

Thanks!!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I found out today. Looks like the 01 got a new engine ~30k miles ago (~4 years). I asked him if he could get info on what he got (2 or 3 valves, etc). I know he got the head, crank shaft, lower unit, etc. He got it because he had the aforementioned plug replacement, that later blew out of the engine.

I guess if he has a "new engine", then his may not be a bad deal. I'll post what he tells me tomorrow to get your input.

Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

This is probably the same answer as in that other thread, but:
The 5.4 is a stroked 4.6.

5.4 = 4.16" stroke
4.6 = 3.54" stroke

They both have their max RPM set for somewhere around 3,500 feet per minute average piston velocity:

5.4 = 5,000 rpm
4.6 = 6,000 rpm

If you're not afraid of throwing another thousand (or two for a 4wd) at a truck, get a 4.6 truck and have the differential re-geared for a 4.10 ratio. That will set up the 4.6 to pull like a 5.4 with a 3:55 rear-end. You'll have to wind the 4.6 a little higher, but that's more of an issue for the driver than the engine.

Or pick up a '09+ model. If you're towing, pay attention to the axle codes. 3.55 is good, 3.73 is a bit better, I'd stay away from 3.31 for any serious pulling work.