Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Worth fixing transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth fixing transmission?

Hi all, I have a 1996 Eddie Bauer 5.8 4WD Extended Cab F-150 that I bought a few years ago. I'm faced with needing a new transmission - it's no longer drive-able. I'm looking at around $2700 to fix it, a tune-up, fix an oil pan gasket leak, and a few other things. Looking online, I don't believe this is a bad price for everything, however I've already spent a lot of money on this thing (including $800 twice to fix fuel lines/rails that squirrels have eaten through) and I've put less than 1000 miles on it since I bought it (it's at 155,000). Obviously I don't use it much so I think I want to cut my losses, but wanted to get some others thoughts. The body has the normal fender and rocker panel rust and there are some other dings here/there, but overall not terrible. The interior is in good condition - original seats with no rips.

I believe the KBB value is higher than what I could sell it for since it is not drive-able. Is there a good site out there to know what I should be asking for it?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2018, 12:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't say what part of the country you live in, but a truck that isn't derivable here in DFW Texas will get 500-1000. I have seen people post higher prices, but they never sell for a reason. The eddie bauer edition and 4x4 isn't enough here to drive up the price any more than that. The seventh generation and earlier big blocks can demand a little more if the body is good, but even then it might only be 1500 for something that you can't drive.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:34 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

You say it needs a new transmission but are you sure of that. Reason I ask is my truck recently would upshift to neutral, a valve body repair would have fixed this but I opted to replace.
Cost was around $350 and a pretty easy job. I'm sure a trans shop would have quoted me a new unit for a simple problem. If it does need a new trans shop for another truck, not worth putting that amount of money into an old truck.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure what trans it is but you could always try tackling it yourself.

Ive never been one to get into transmissions, however after watching this I think I could give it a go.

Be sure to watch the whole series.

Quick Reply: Worth fixing transmission?