Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

What is this object?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is this object?

Okay, so I want to put a glass mat (AGM) battery under my hood so I have some extra power to run my subwoofers. However, I don't know where to put it.

I gave some thought to removing a large-ish black cyliyndrical object (pictured) from under my hood and putting the battery where it is now. My problem is, I don't know what it is. It's connected to my smog/air pump by a rubber hose, and it has something that looks like a mini dryer hose running out of it. I know it's EGR related (I blocked off my EGR valve a long time ago, which is why I'm thinking about removing this thing). Is it okay to remove this? Also, what is the black cylinder next to it that looks like a tomato sauce can (also pictured) which has two vacuum lines running to it? Sorry for my ineptitude, but I have not been able to find out anything about this. Thank you everyone!
Attached Thumbnails What is this object?-2013-06-07-19.27.54.jpg  

Last edited by DuctTape; 06-14-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

The can on the left is the smog pump muffler. The object on the right is the vacuum reservoir. The vacuum reservoir can be relocated to the driver's side fender well under the washer fluid/coolant tank. Just need to buy some vacuum hose and the holes should be pre-drilled in that spot. I removed my smog pump muffler and made my own to clear that area and make room for a future upgrade.
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/vacuum...162114/index2/

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/smog-p...lencer-160471/
The following users liked this post:
DuctTape (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

How many amps is your alternator?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:05 AM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

you can build a dual battery try like I did, then get an isolator so the alt. will charge both at one time. I used parts of the old tray and angle iron.

The following users liked this post:
DuctTape (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Aktech
How many amps is your alternator?
I couldn't tell you. I do know that it's the stock, 20 year old alternator though. It's been through a lot- namely a radiator hose randomly popping off and drenching it in antifreeze. Every time the subs hit, my battery indicator needle/gauge jumps around and the headlights blink (when playing hip hop). Bumping music at night is currently taboo for me. Haha.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by unit505
The can on the left is the smog pump muffler. The object on the right is the vacuum reservoir. The vacuum reservoir can be relocated to the driver's side fender well under the washer fluid/coolant tank. Just need to buy some vacuum hose and the holes should be pre-drilled in that spot. I removed my smog pump muffler and made my own to clear that area and make room for a future upgrade.
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/vacuum...162114/index2/

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/smog-p...lencer-160471/
Wow! Dope job on moving everything, and really cool homebrewed filter/muffler! Thanks for the helpful threads. Where did you route the new lengths of vacuum hose/how did you keep them out of the way of everything? Also, how did you add the extra lengths of vacuum hose to the existing lines? Do they make vacuum hose couplers or something to that effect? Thanks!

Last edited by DuctTape; 06-14-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by fordtrucknut
you can build a dual battery try like I did, then get an isolator so the alt. will charge both at one time. I used parts of the old tray and angle iron.

Nice setup! Which one do you use for your main cranking battery? Do you use both in parallel? The glass mat battery I bought is a tad smaller than my main cranking battery, so I gave some thought to wiring in the isolator, but also buying a continuous duty relay and hooking that up to a switch on my dash so I can run both in parallel when I need the extra juice. Is that okay to do or kind of a no no? I know you're not supposed to have two different batteries hooked together if they're different in age/type/size.

Last edited by DuctTape; 06-14-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2013, 05:03 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i'm running two keyed battery switches, turn one one and start, or turn the other on and start, turn both off for security, never turn both on. but I mainly use the left one for starting and the right one runs my stereo, CB, OBA system, and future winch.

and your right you never want to run two unlike batteries together, the weaker one will draw down the strong one, the the strong one fights back and they fight till both are dead.

here is the switches I'm using.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by DuctTape
Wow! Dope job on moving everything, and really cool homebrewed filter/muffler! Thanks for the helpful threads. Where did you route the new lengths of vacuum hose/how did you keep them out of the way of everything? Also, how did you add the extra lengths of vacuum hose to the existing lines? Do they make vacuum hose couplers or something to that effect? Thanks!
Vacuum hose routing will vary by engine type. Short answer, yes, I used vacuum hose couplers and just routed them where I could to protect them and keep things clean.[IMG][/IMG]
You can see the two vac lines in this pic between the upper radiator how and the heater hoses run under the intake.

Quick Reply: What is this object?