Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Weird Occurances - turn signal/flashers, brakes, vacuum line?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Weird Occurances - turn signal/flashers, brakes, vacuum line?

On my way home this afternoon, at my first stop-sign, my brake pedal suddenly went to the floor. The turn signals stopped working... and whenever I would hit the brakes - both blinker indicators would come on.

My truck is a '91 F150 Custom - Inline 6 engine. This happened a year or so back, however, stopped pretty quickly, so I forgot about it until today.

My guess at this point would be a leaky vacuum line, affecting the brake booster... Do any of you know of an interlock in the system that would make both turn signals (or a solid flasher?) go on if the brake pedal is pressed?

All fluids (yes - including the blinker fluid ) are topped up. (Brake, Power steering, coolant) - though I do need to replace my thermostat and it's gasket & probably housing as well - as I noticed a slow-drip leak last week from the bottom of the thermostat housing)

Would a vacuum loss cause the strange solid lights on the turn signals? It even lit up the front turn signals - as I saw the reflection of them in the car ahead of me at an intersection.

Thoughts, clues, pontifications?

Rex S.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:55 PM

I think I found the problem. After about 10 minutes - I see a substantial puddle under my front drivers side brake connections behind the tire. Looks like the brake line cracked or split where the line rubbed against the shock, and is dripping on the driveway. At least I found it quickly... Let's hope this fixes the issues.

Last edited by Rex Smith; 12-21-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:16 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

You've got a weird electrical gremlin. The hazards shorted on which is why the front lights and indicators lit up.
The following users liked this post:
Rex Smith (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 10:25 PM

Funny thing, though... a few months back - the "hazards solid on" happened again... this time - the coolant was low in the radiator. Topped it back up (and fixed the hose pinhole leak) - and the lights immediately returned to working correctly.

I think they may have engineered this ole truck to do weird things to catch your attention for maintenance items. Not things bad enough to trip a CEL, but still things that need to be tended to.