Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Verification

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Verification

Hey guys, 99% sure I know the problem but just want to make sure I am right before I spend the money. Driving home from work on this rainy night with windows open (smoking) my 92's windshield started fogging up, all heat/air controls off, I didn't do anything about it because I was almost home. Got home and decided I wanted to spend some time in the garage. Well looking at the truck with all windows closed the windshield has gotten much more foggy, almost white directly above the defrost vents. 30 mins went by and it is slowly going away. So.... My heater core is blown right? I didn't smell any coolant on the drive home and there is no coolant in the cab. Just looking for some verification before I spend the money, thanks.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:18 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty but trusty
Hey guys, 99% sure I know the problem but just want to make sure I am right before I spend the money. Driving home from work on this rainy night with windows open (smoking) my 92's windshield started fogging up, all heat/air controls off, I didn't do anything about it because I was almost home. Got home and decided I wanted to spend some time in the garage. Well looking at the truck with all windows closed the windshield has gotten much more foggy, almost white directly above the defrost vents. 30 mins went by and it is slowly going away. So.... My heater core is blown right? I didn't smell any coolant on the drive home and there is no coolant in the cab. Just looking for some verification before I spend the money, thanks.
Have you turned the heat/ac on since? What's your coolant level look like? Try actually turning the heat on and putting it in the different modes (floor, vent, defrost, etc.) after checking your coolant level. If you want verification before you spend money you'll have to trouble shoot first to make sure
Old 10-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Drive like you stole it

Sorry I didnt put more info in the first post. Coolant level is fine, I do need to top it off every now and then because the water pump gasket has a small leak (have the new gasket just havent had time to change it). The AC es no bueno, never has worked and never will, not worth the time/money to fix and convert an old r12 system. All modes of heat work fine and when the heat is on I do smell coolant a bit but like I said there is a small leak under the hood so I have always thought it was just sucking in that smell. The reason I asked this is because I have never seen any of my vehicles continue to fog up worse and worse after I am out of it and it is shut off. The windshield was completely "whited out" above the defrost vents and all other windows were clear. Thanks
Old 10-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty but trusty
Driving home from work on this rainy night with windows open
here's your problem. Your heater core is fine.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:09 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Are you getting any heat from the defrost or the vents or is it just luke warm?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Top Gun

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm goin to say it's the heat of the cab and the cold of the rain
Old 10-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Drive like you stole it

Sylver, yes blazing hot out of vents and defrost, like I said Everything but the ac works fine. Alright, I will just keep Rollin. This is not my daily driver and I have had it for 3 years, never had it fog like that. We will see what happens.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Top Gun

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the passenger side floor wet?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Drive like you stole it

Nope, I said in original post that I had nothing in the cab
Old 10-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Drive like you stole it

Originally Posted by Andrew95
here's your problem. Your heater core is fine.
Dude really? This is not the first time I have driven a vehicle.

Quick Reply: Verification