Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Vacuum issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum issues

Alright guys bare with me for a second... So long story short I failed smog for high NO at the 25mph level.. the truck is a 1990 f150 with the 5.0. I had the exhaust replaced headers back with all compliant smog parts. The smog mech told me he thought it was my EGR. Took that apart and sure enough it was stuck. Freed the EGR and still nothing. Checked for vacuum in the line leading to the egr. Nothing. Replaced the EGR vacuum solenoid.. nothing... Checked the lines to the vacuum canister and between the egr and the solenoid. No obstruction. Obviously there's the most likely candidate being a leak somewhere however I just wanted to check in and make sure there's not something I'm missing checking prior to pulling all the lines and hoses to replace them.. any suggestions... I'm reading voltage to the solenoid 12v. Issues with the truck are a high, low (almost stalling) combination of idle for a couple minutes prior to warming up and being just fine. From what I hear the truck has a lot more potential than what it's showing me.. 0-60 in a lot so to speak.. So possibly a loss of power in the mix as well. Due to the EGR not operating due to no vacuum. Please help haha
Old 05-23-2018, 11:15 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by Dktinsley
Freed the EGR and still nothing.
What do you mean by "nothing"? No change in the NOx level? No EGR flow? No movement of the EGR? No change in the EVP?

This diagram & its caption explain the EGR system:

(phone app link)

It would also help us help you to see everything about the truck in your signature:

(phone app link)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:20 PM

No EGR movement due to no vacuum coming through the EGR vacuum line
Old 05-25-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Trace it back....

Vacuum at EGR valve?
Yes: Is it enough to operate the valve? If it is then the valve is either still sticking or your problem is elsewhere. Maybe the EGR sensor is part of the problem?
No: Is the vacuum line broken, clogged, kinked?
Is there vacuum at the relay outlet?
Is there vacuum at the relay inlet?
Is the relay supply vacuum line broken, clogged, kinked?
etc.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:46 AM

Gentlemen I believe i resolved the issue. At least I passed smog so I believe i did. I had to replace the egr vacuum solenoid and the egr vacuum line.

Quick Reply: Vacuum issues