Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

M5R2 clutch engagement issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:16 AM
MavRex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M5R2 clutch engagement issue.

I have a ‘91 F150 with a 5 speed. I have had the trans in and out of this thing several times. However I am now chasing a clutch issue. I swapped out the trans for a new one along with a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot and had the flywheel turned. After swapping this out, I noticed that everything was working great. The next day I drove it to work and all was good in the morning when I started out. Once the truck got to running temp the engagement of the clutch changed drastically. As the truck got hotter the clutch engagement got “bouncy”? Meaning from a start with a little throttle and as you start to bring the clutch in the truck would begin to lunge harder. Kind of it like you had really badly warped rotors and everything shakes like crazy. Then If you let it all cool down it would go back to having nice smooth engagement again and get more harsh as it warmed back up. I don’t think it is from riding the clutch at all just because I could use the clutch getting in the highway and it is fine when cold then not shift at all until I exit at that point the truck is hot and the clutch is acting up again. This is always a consistent issue. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jefflw76; 05-25-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

That's not much description of the truck for us to go on. Read this caption & fill in your signature:

(phone app link)

WHY exactly was the trans out, EACH time? New transmissions haven't been available for decades - where did your replacement come from? Who installed it each time? Were the clutch, pressure plate, & flywheel degreased EACH time immediately before installation? Was the clutch bled properly? Was the pedal lever replaced correctly? Is the pedal box intact?

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
Old 05-25-2018, 12:53 PM
MavRex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the 3rd trans in this truck since I’ve had it. 1st one the forks died and bound two gears together and broke a bunch of stuff inside. The clutch on the replacement trans exploded so out it came for a new clutch. All was good with that for almost 100k miles. I put forks in that trans 2 times during that time without pulling the trans. At the 267k mile mark I decided to replace that trans with a rebuilt one. I bought a brand new flywheel, slave cylinder, PP, CD, PB, TB. When it was all done the new flywheel was rubbing the back of the block/ scatter shield. So I dropped it again, turned the original FW and put it all back together again. And yes I thoroughly cleaned everything before assembly and the clutch hydraulic system was pressure bled. I used sealant on the FW bolts and I used studs to guide the trans back in so there was no clutch plate loading. So I still don’t get why it feels this way. As a side note, starting out in second gear doesn’t shake the truck nearly as bad.

Quick Reply: M5R2 clutch engagement issue.