Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Truck still won't start!!! Anyone have any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck still won't start!!! Anyone have any opinions?

Hello everyone, I just got a 1993 F150 from a neighbor who had parked it 5 years ago. After I replaced the battery I thought to try to see if it would start. To my surprise it cranked but didn't fire up. I tested and replaced the distributer coil and cap, plugs and wire and got a good shock. I also replaced the fuel filter and put in a new pump. Now to my problem. The truck will still not fire up. I tried to jump start it by running it on ether but that didn't work. I placed a guage on the fuel rail and it reads fine while I am cranking it, but as soon as I stop, the pressure falls immedietly. I know that the pressure should stay in the lines for a period of time. What else could be the issue. Im thinking its the fuel pressure regulator but i pulled the vacuum line and it does the same thing. not sure whats going on. if anyone can help thanks.

I have been looking at this site since I got the truck and finally decided to join. I hope to get the truck up and running soon.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 PM
97F-150XLT

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is just a guess, I had a T-Bird once that did exactly the same thing and it like to have drove me crazy. It turned out to be the module inside the distrib. I had to buy a special tool at the parts house to get it out.The tool and the module ran about $75.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:14 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigblue870
Hello everyone, I just got a 1993 F150 from a neighbor who had parked it 5 years ago. After I replaced the battery I thought to try to see if it would start. To my surprise it cranked but didn't fire up. I tested and replaced the distributer coil and cap, plugs and wire and got a good shock. I also replaced the fuel filter and put in a new pump. Now to my problem. The truck will still not fire up. I tried to jump start it by running it on ether but that didn't work. I placed a guage on the fuel rail and it reads fine while I am cranking it, but as soon as I stop, the pressure falls immedietly. I know that the pressure should stay in the lines for a period of time. What else could be the issue. Im thinking its the fuel pressure regulator but i pulled the vacuum line and it does the same thing. not sure whats going on. if anyone can help thanks.

I have been looking at this site since I got the truck and finally decided to join. I hope to get the truck up and running soon.
Sounds like a fuel pressure problem to me. Pinch off the return line and see if the pressure falls off instantly. BTW I am assuming you have good spark because you said you got a shock.. IF fuel pressure still falls off pull the plugs and see if they are wet with fuel. Check compression while they are out. Might have to spray a little oil in the cylinders to get the compresssion up. If one of the plugs are wet and the others are dry I would check that injector for being stuck open. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:46 AM

thats a good idea to check for moisture on the spark plugs. I didn't think to try that. I did replace the plugs and wires. I am getting a good spark. If anyone else has any ideas I will gladly give it a try. Thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 08:50 AM

I checked the plugs and they were wet. I went ahead and changed out the fuel pressure regulator and that solved the problem of the fuel pressure dropping off right away. It fired up and ran good for about 5 seconds then stopped again and I couldn't get it running again. I am so close in getting this truck running again
Old 07-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Lost in Iowa....

Since it did start for a few seconds, it could be a fuel issue. Have you put any type of fuel stabilizer or such into the gas? With the gas sitting that long in the tank, it will have begun to break down. Fuel stabilizer will help in that regard. If the gas is really bad, another option is to drain the gas out and put new gas in.

I am no mechanic, but I have had to use this trick before.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:10 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Check the plugs again see if they are gas fouled again
Old 07-11-2007, 02:31 PM

If the gas is 5 years old, there is no way it'll run on it.

You have some nice coffey/mud in there right now.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:29 PM

Gas starts to break down after 30 days. Thats why so many people use Stay-Bil on stuff that is sitting for awhile. I would bet its the fuel. Its all water on top!!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
97F-150XLT

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like I was wrong,should have kept quiet

Quick Reply: Truck still won't start!!! Anyone have any opinions?