Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Trans fluid

Old 10-04-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trans fluid

What brand do you guys recommend? My truck needs this done desperately.

Do y'all just drain the pan and TC?

I've read some others that say to attach a tube to the trans cooler return line and pump it out and refill until you get clean fluid.

What do y'all think?

91 f150 5.0. E40D 2WD
Old 10-04-2014, 05:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I changed mine recently. I dropped the pan drained the tc and the cooler. When I changed mine I switched to merc v to soften shifts. If you stay merc III use a name brand fluid stay away from the store brand crap
Old 10-04-2014, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by jrh5610
I changed mine recently. I dropped the pan drained the tc and the cooler. When I changed mine I switched to merc v to soften shifts. If you stay merc III use a name brand fluid stay away from the store brand crap
How did you drain the cooler?

So merc V is better?

Just looking at how dirty the dipstick was, I just wanna get her as cleaned out as possible. I also plan on adding a bottle of Lucas to it when I'm done just for extra care.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I just did my 94 E4OD a couple months ago. Here's what I did:

-remove the pan, change filter (with Motorcraft filter, I've read others tend to fall out)
-empty contents of pan into wash bucket to measure amount
-replace pan and torque bolts
-fill with the amount measured earlier
-disconnect the return line. On mine, under the radiator just right of middle there was a rubber line connecting 2 steel lines. I connected a 3' rubber line from there to a bucket
-run engine for ~10 seconds at a time. You'll get a better idea of how much comes out after a few times
-turn off motor and drain contents into my wash bucket. It has accurate measurements in QTS.
-replace same amount.

I did this until I replaced 18 quarts. Then connect the return line and run engine to operating temp and top off fluid as needed. I used Motorcraft Mercon V but others have used Valvoline, Mobile 1, Redline or whatever brand you want. I went with MC just because. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2014, 10:28 PM

Thanks!! What size tubing did you use?
Old 10-04-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

If you pull the pan off to replace the filtar why not just put a new pan on that has a drain plug in it. Here's the oem pan with plug for $44. http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/...-7a194-ba.html

When I was doing the filter on mine I decided to put one of these on. Then I filled up the trans. Then every Saturday for the next 4 weeks I drained the pan and put some fresh fluid in. Only takes about 10 minutes. It's been at least 6 months and the fluid in my trans still looks brand new. I use the Valvoline Dex/Merc in the blue bottle. I thought about switching to Merc V, it does make the trans have a softer shift, but a softer shift means the trans spends more time slipping while shifting and creates more heat. and in a trans with 200k on it I don't want more heat.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Crownman
If you pull the pan off to replace the filtar why not just put a new pan on that has a drain plug in it. Here's the oem pan with plug for $44. http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/...-7a194-ba.html

When I was doing the filter on mine I decided to put one of these on. Then I filled up the trans. Then every Saturday for the next 4 weeks I drained the pan and put some fresh fluid in. Only takes about 10 minutes. It's been at least 6 months and the fluid in my trans still looks brand new. I use the Valvoline Dex/Merc in the blue bottle. I thought about switching to Merc V, it does make the trans have a softer shift, but a softer shift means the trans spends more time slipping while shifting and creates more heat. and in a trans with 200k on it I don't want more heat.
Well in my case I had already spent $130+ on fluid and the filter, I didn't want to spend more just for a little added convenience every few years. As for smoother shifting, I didn't notice a difference in my shifts but I also think mine was maintenanced pretty well.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

or you can add a universal plug for $5.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew95
or you can add a universal plug for $5.
Easier said than done. They tend to seep fluid.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 56 Likes on 54 Posts

I always heard if your not sure if its be changed before its not good to drain the torque converter, so I just drained my pain and changed my filter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans fluid