Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

timing and gap questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default timing and gap questions

well on my 4.9l i upgraded my ignition to the msd coil and distributor. i got my timing set to 14degrees and my truck idles at around 1,000 rpm. should i bump it down to 12 degrees?
and i hear people about gaping their spark plugs at .55. can that hurt the engine or does it make a little more fuel burn.

and should i upgrade my plug wires too?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Disconnect the battery for at least 5 mins. this clears the KAM (Keep Alive Memory). Reconnect the battery and restart the engine. This should be done at normal operating temp. Allow to idle.if it settles into a normal idle, continue for 2 mins. shut off for 1 min. restart, w/ foot on the brake, place in gear & let idle for two minutes. shut off for 1 min. restart & go for a drive at various rpm's & gears. If after reconnecting the battery and restarting, the idle is above normal, bump the gas peddle to see if it drops on its own. Occacionally, the idle remains obstinate & remains above normal. When this occurs it's just a matter of correcting the IAC parameters. Once again at normal operating temp. and idleing, have someone disconnect the IAC. Your task behind the wheel is to catch the falling idle (which at this point is attempting to stall) using the gas peddle & maintain idle at it's normal RPM. It knows where it's supposed to be and will stop fighting within the first. 20-30 seconds. After it settles there, maintain for 2 mins. then shut the engine off & reconnect the IAC. Restart and re-perform the 2 min/1 min/2 min. under load/1min/drive procedure. You & your truck should now be happy campers. You should have a pretty smooth idle! Any Questions? It will be easier if you print this out & take it w/ you when you do it. You can't screw anything up. Just go back to the IAC disconnect part if you don't get it the first time . But I have faith in you! This many times happens when attempting to bump timing more than 2 degrees at a time . Ain't no thang! After you've done it a couple of times, you can do it w/o even thinking about it. Also once my truck acclimated itself to 14BTDC, I didn't have to do it again until I went to 16BTDC (Where my base time resides now) However base timing bumps should always be done incrementally. If you detect Ping, retard 2 degrees!!! If you want to try sneaking back up on it, it's up to you, however sh*t happens faster & harder w/ higher advance. You and your truck should take your time and err on the side of safty!(Unless you "like" riding the bus) 14BTDC isn't overtly aggressive given a healthy engine to start with.

Last edited by ymeski56; 12-01-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by |WYG|SS
well on my 4.9l i upgraded my ignition to the msd coil and distributor. i got my timing set to 14degrees and my truck idles at around 1,000 rpm. should i bump it down to 12 degrees?
and i hear people about gaping their spark plugs at .55. can that hurt the engine or does it make a little more fuel burn.

and should i upgrade my plug wires too?
I would certainly change out the wires. Increasing the plug gap is a bit tricky. Not to do, just to do right. If you go too much it can have an adverse affect because the spark can actually be dowsed out by the incoming/outgoing fuel/exhaust. A safer bet would be to buy the new E3 spark plugs, no gapping needed and the most spark you can buy.

My 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 PM

thing is you cant buy those e3 plugs for a 4.9l. or the bosch 1,2,3,&4. i have sprayed the iac clean abit but yea i will try what you said and ill make sure i print it out.(iff i had a printer) o and if i want to put it under load what do i do with a manual. do i just let clutch grab a little?

Last edited by |WYG|SS; 12-01-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 PM

thing is you cant buy those e3 plugs for a 4.9l.
Huh?!?!?

E3 Plug number for a 4.9L I6 = ETP-E3-54

Check em' out at summing racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ETP-E3-54/

Buy em' up!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM

crap never seen that. ive searched summit befor but it was like 2 months ago. maybe they judt started making them for 4.9l wait but it says from 94 to 96 years. will that still work?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:13 PM

crap never seen that. ive searched summit befor but it was like 2 months ago. maybe they judt started making them for 4.9l wait but it says from 94 to 96 years. will that still work?
I don't see why not, like the 5.0, the 4.9L never changed much.... You could call Summit to be sure....
Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

if i want to put it under load what do i do with a manual. do i just let clutch grab a little?
For a manual trans to create a load, turn your A/C on w/ fan on hi. Headlights on high beam. A HV coil & brass upgrade has to go w/ hi conductive/ low resistance/ hi temp wires or your shooting yourself in the foot. There can't be a weak link. Be careful, if you become the ground path now, you'll regret it! People can say MSD's 8.5mm Superconductor wires are overpriced, but they're the best I've ever used.

Quick Reply: timing and gap questions