Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Starts in second gear and Overdrive issues

Old 06-06-2007, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starts in second gear and Overdrive issues

1996 f150 XLT 302

Just had the transmission rebuilt including a shift kit, new torque converter, and new shift solenoids.

Here is the problem. in drive the truck comes from a dead stop in second gear then shifts normal untill you come to a dead stop. It will shift normal and strong (after the rebuild) if I shift manually from 1st to 3rd.

here's the rub... the Overdrive button does not work.

We're thinking that this has something to do with the problem.

It throws a few codes. I'll update with specifics on Monday however one is the crank possition sensor?
the tranny guys also said it wont go into self diagnostics? apparently this is a self test that causes all kinds of stuff to happen like on it;s own as it tests the different sensors??
all the wiring looks good underneath - the tranny guys inspected thoroughly.
Yes I trust this guy - he is VERY good and an extreme perfectionist.

He seems to think after chatting with his "friends" in the industry that the computer might be shot...

I'd like some input from some others before I start chaseing codes.

Where is the first place I should look with the non-functional overdrive button?

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by Gimpy_Magoo; 06-06-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:59 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I would take it to whoever built it if it was all working before. Sounds like they have a problem. The "computer" is rarely the problem.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response.

I took it to have the tranny rebuilt due to what appears to be the same problem. The overdrive switch never worked, and the various rebuild places I took it to for diagnostics all had different opinions. They all agreed that the it needed rebuilding due to slippage and high mileage 226,000 miles !!

So I had it rebuilt to fix the foundation. Now that the tranny is perfect it's time to chase the other issues.

I'm told the transmission is managed electrically and one issue that tips us to think it's the ECU is it won't go into diagnostics mode.

The motor is in unusually good condition and runs about perfect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starts in second gear and Overdrive issues