Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

starting procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:43 PM
gr8dane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question starting procedure

I use my truck as a daily driver. Every morning I go to start my truck, and it never starts on the first try. If it does start, it blubbers for a few seconds and then settles down into a nice idle. oddly enough, I never have a problem starting it on the second try.

If I go to the store, grab something and come right back out, it starts up the first time every time. is this just the nature of the beast or could I be looking at a potential problem in the future?

Battery is in good shape and the plugs were changed about 6 months ago...

it doesn't really bother me, just wondering if this happens to anyone else.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not have this problem and am not sure what would. You may want to list what year truck and the engine that she has, so others with more experience can give you some suggestions. Good luck!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 PM

Do you have a dual tank or single tank set up? My 91 4.9 does the exact same thing (cold start is trouble, warm start is fine) if I'm running on the rear tank. If I only use the front tank, cold starts are fine.

Because of this, and what other people here have reported for this, I think it's the fuel pump.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree with bjfram (or what ever), suggest in the AM try turning the key on and off a couple of times to reprime the fuel rail. A fuel pressure test and time it holds pressure is what is done to verify a faulty system. If this is not available, try as suggested.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep, fuel pressure is bleeding down overnight.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:47 AM
gr8dane

I'll give that test a try in the morning, that sounds like exactly whats going on. Thats what I love about this site.

Thanks guys!

"You may want to list what year truck and the engine that she has, so others with more experience can give you some suggestions."

Its listed on my public profile... but sounds like a signature is in order. good call.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 AM
gr8dane

testing signature...
Old 04-08-2009, 11:09 AM
gr8dane

This morning I went out and primed the pump by turning the key on and off three times before I started the truck. It started on the first try. Now hopefully my starter will last a little longer.

Thanks again everyone for the advice
Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
makeimpatienceyourenemy

Default it sounds like

ur vacuum operated fuel regulator on the back of the fuel rail my truck did the same thing and it ran a little rich too cuz there was a whole in the diaphragm in the reg and it was leaking fuel straight into my intake via the vacuum line. that could be why ur fuel pressure is bleeding down they reg is pretty easy to check just pull the vacuum line (while running) and see if there is fuel coming out of it. the preasuse should build the first time u turn the key on unless its leaking

Last edited by welder; 04-08-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply: starting procedure