Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Starting Issues with Truck, even with new starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Issues with Truck, even with new starter

I have a 1993 F-150 with a V8 5.0L engine. I recently had to put in a new alternator as well as a new starter (also a new starter solenoid, mounted on the fender). For about a week after putting in the new starter, the truck started up with no problems. However, just today, the truck had some issues starting. At first it would chug/seize up for a second before starting. Other times it would turn over once, and then nothing would happen. After trying a few times (varying number of tries) it will eventually start. Sometimes it starts like normal. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Could it alternatively be a fuel pump issue? Thanks!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Fuel pump shouldn't affect how it turns over. If I understand correctly (and judging by the charging components you've replaced), it acts as though it barely had enough juice to turn it over. I would suggest pulling the starter and taking it to the parts store for bench testing. The starter is easy to replace, so it won't take much to remove and replace. While you're under there, check all of the electrical connections/battery cables/etc. It's not uncommon to get a bad starter.
The following users liked this post:
eeifert (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 06:26 PM

Thanks, I looked under the hood while a buddy turned the key, and there was some sparks near the starter. I have not gotten under the truck yet to see where exactly the sparks are coming from.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

if your seeing sparks then that is more than likely your problem.

also these trucks are known for junk starter wires, i've cut a very clean and good looking wire open and the inside would be green and corroded..
Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 PM

Ive had similar problems before. replaced hot wire to starter, cleaned connections, good to go. sparks coming from the starter itself or where the wire connects?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Sounds like the starter cable isn't on tight enough.

Quick Reply: Starting Issues with Truck, even with new starter